Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what direction should I go?`

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by far-lessbass, Mar 30, 2002.

1. far-lessbass

far-lessbass

Mar 30, 2002
    ok...here's the deal. I am in a heavy melodic rock band. Tone is the issue...mine needs work. I am currently using an Ibanez 590 series, with active p-and j-pickups, and a hartke 4 by 10, with the Hartke 3500 series head. I am going for a mid-range, gritty (not flabby), almost pick type tone. I want note distinction, but blending as well. I don't want to invest so much; my band jumps around alot, something that will travel well, and have the tone I want. Right now, I have tried everything, and seem to get too puncy a tone. Punchy is good, just not for our style of music. I played an American Deluxe p-bass, a Warwick Thumb, an MTD, and several others....the Fender coming the closest to producing what I want. I want a new guitar...not amp, but is the amp the problem with punchiness? anyone answer...as much feedback as possible please,
    thanks,
    joseph (far-less)

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Joseph,
    have you tried each of those basses with your rig?
    Try each of those basses with your rig then try each of those basses with your Hartke head and a different cabinet, like an SWR Goliath III (4x10) or a Son of Bertha (1x15).

I think the Aluminum Cone speakers in the Hartke are the wild card here. They have such a unique sound. You very well might be able to change the cab and leave the bass (unless, of course, you really want a new bass as well)

Mike

3. far-lessbass

far-lessbass

Mar 30, 2002
    thanks mike, (Happy Easter, by the way)
    I have tried all of these basses through my rig, the MTD (not sure what model) and the American P-bass producing the best tone. What is your opinion concerning these two basses? A friend of mine (who took lessons from you last summer, and will again this summer, at some camp) has the MTD. He plays it through an ampeg 1-15 combo. It sounds great, better through his rig than mine. Although when jamming with him, I put new strings on my bass, which many people have told me is not a good bass, and it sounded awesome. We messed with every setting possible...finally using 2/3 volume on the p-pickup and 1/3 on the jazz. This still did not compare to the tone I got out of the American deluxe P. Zach Hall is the dude that I know, that learned from you at camp. Which would be better, me investing in new gear, or investing in going to this camp?
    thanks,
    joseph

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Joseph,
    Yeah I remember Zach and his twin.
    If you can maker your bass sound awesome than maybe you should consider replacing the rig. But if your perfect sound is the American P-Bass than should make sure it sounds as good through your rig as it did through the Ampeg. It would really suck if you bought a new bass and it sounded the same becuase of the amp. I am not a huge fan of the Hartke sound. It is a very distinct sound. IF your really into the P-Bass/Ampeg sound than that really does not jive well with the Hartke sound. As you probably know I am an MTD endorsed player. I love the MTD basses, but I also realize that the sound is not for everyone.

Would it be better to invest in new gear or the National Summer Guitar Workshop?

I would answer it this way:
    If you want to sound better -get a new bass (and/or rig)
    If you want to play better, sound better and have an experience that will last a lifetime go to the guitar workshop.

I am teaching there the 5th week of program - July 28 - August 3

Mike