what direction should I go?`

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by far-lessbass, Mar 30, 2002.

1. far-lessbass

Mar 30, 2002
    ok...here's the deal. I am in a heavy melodic rock band. Tone is the issue...mine needs work. I am currently using an Ibanez 590 series, with active p-and j-pickups, and a hartke 4 by 10, with the Hartke 3500 series head. I am going for a mid-range, gritty (not flabby), almost pick type tone. I want note distinction, but blending as well. I don't want to invest so much; my band jumps around alot, something that will travel well, and have the tone I want. Right now, I have tried everything, and seem to get too puncy a tone. Punchy is good, just not for our style of music. I played an American Deluxe p-bass, a Warwick Thumb, an MTD, and several others....the Fender coming the closest to producing what I want. I want a new guitar...not amp, but is the amp the problem with punchiness? anyone answer...as much feedback as possible please,
    joseph (far-less)
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    From what you're describing it reads like you're saying that you want a Fender P Bass tone. I'd recommend looking at the standard P-Bass, not the 2 pickup Deluxe. You may be surprised, and realize why they're so popular.
  3. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Well, for mid-range, gritty tone, I'd have to agree that the Fender Precision may be right up your alley. It's got big bottom and sounds very round. With roundwounds and with the tone pegged, it growls with the best of them.

To me "punchy" describes a midrangy kind of tone. I guess I'm not really understanding your terminology because you say you're getting a punchy tone, but that you want to get a midrangy tone.

I resisted playing Fenders for a long time. When I was growing up, I wanted one badly. When I went to college, I found that I could afford lots of different instruments that seemed to do the Fender-tone plus others, and I decided that Fenders were a bit quaint or antiquated, and I purposely avoided buying Fender basses.

Now that I'm midway through my 4th decade of life, I've realized that the Fender sound is the sound that I hear in my head, and that I shouldn't fight the urge to buy a Fender based on some misguided ideas.

Anyhow, there are lots or great basses out there these days. Inexpensive basses have improved in quality by leapos and bounds and are now very playable instruments. I'm constantly amazed at how well some of the entry level instruments play, especially from Yamaha, Fender, Ibanez, Peavey, Dean, and others.

The best advice is to go to a nice music store (during the week, preferably), plug into an amp that you're familiar with, and try a bunch of different basses. You;ll probably find more than one that sings to you.

4. some thoughts:

have you tried other basses through your rig? it may not be the bass. how do you have the eq set on the hartke? in my experience that type of rig is voiced to provide punch (aluminum 4x10s).

do you favor the p pickup on your ibanez? favoring the j may give you the punchiness you are trying to avoid.

another thing that may help - what kind of bass tone are you trying to cop? steve harris on piece of mind / number of the beast? geddy lee on moving pictures? this will help get more opinions on the subject.