Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what distortion can get me close to this sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassgiant15, Jan 10, 2006.

1. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I have heard a couple of records recently that i love the distortion tone from the bass players. Of coarse everyone and myself loves Tim Commerford's sound. There is another band called Spineshank and on their album "Strickly Diesel" the bass tone is awesome (to me). i have heard of Tim using a Marshall Guv'nor and the guy from Spineshank using a Rat. Can anyone shed some light as to if a Rat or Guv'nor are good. Like Tim i want to try to get an "aarrrrh" sound rather than a "sssshhhhh" sound. Thanks to anyone who can help. :)

2. Eisenmann

Eisenmann

May 12, 2004
    get a ehx big muff it makes tight aaarrrhhhh !

3. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    I've got a guv'nor, it's got the tone oF ratm in the beginnings

but you have to mod it, like I did

4. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    what do you have to do to "mod" the Guv'nor?

I have a Big Muff, but i am looking for something else i think.

5. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    I've changed about 6-7 caps inside It, to allow more bass comming in and to make a more bass friendly EQ, ok it's not a guv'nor anymore!

6. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    Id be interested to know what caps you've changed for more bass response!

7. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, where did you find out about how to do that?

I've tried following some instructions and changing the caps for a couple pedals, never worked at all for me...

-Dash

8. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    at first I've looked at the schematic of the guv'nor on generalguitar gadgets.

I changed C5 which is input cap right before the first op amp stage and I thnik I put 1µf instead of the 10nf

after that the sound was nice but the eq was nothing for bass so I've doubled every cap after the second op amp stage in order to lower all filters... So far so good I havent tested it with my band but at lower gains it's like a clean boost with a hard clipping, I might change leds to have more grit and a softer clipping we'll see
    I'll post a full thread on the guv'nor and my other mods, when everything will be done,
    in a month or so because i'm having my exams these weeks

other projects: customise a vox wah into a uber 105q inspired bass wah with clean lows true bypass and auto return
    and an EZ vibe copy put into a red painted wah shell to get the heartbreaker tone!!

9. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    If you could keep me updated on your mods for the Guv'Nor that would be great!

10. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I've been able to get something like Timmy C's sound with my Ibanez PD7 and Boss Bass Chourus. what I'm hearing is somewhat of an ol' Hammond organ type growl...does anyone else think that?

11. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    PD7 could make it but not a chorus! he doesn't even have one (tim)

12. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Didn't know or not...I'm just saying I get closer the sound with my chourus on than with it off.