What distortion did Dan Berglund use with Esbjorn Svennson Trio?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Josh Kneisel, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Hey guys. Does anyone have any suggestions on distortion pedals that will work well with UB (ply out through a Lifeline)? I am looking for something like what Dan Berglund from EST uses with the bow on songs like the one in the video... I have searched the forums and seen zero useful answers to this question. I know most of you don't use effects on UB, but I have tried using a Bass Big Muff Pi (doesn't work well with UB), I have tried using the Sans Amp as an OD (no dice), I don't have any true distortion pedals yet and prefer not to waste money on stuff I will only use when playing EBG. Any suggestions? I know he's also using reverb and delay and whatnot I just need some useful suggestions for distortions since it's difficult to bring my Upright to a store and demo pedals...

2. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    The big muff has too much gain, and the sansamp will suck out too much mids. I suggest a tube screamer type of circuit, there are a million different clones and variations of that style of pedal out there for bass. Keep the gain pretty low to keep it from feeding back :)

3. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Best TS variant for bass?

Also remember that you don't need to worry about those comments about "bass loss" if you're going for that sound in the video. That sound is all mids to my ears. In fact, I think lots of lows would just help the open strings feed back while playing arco.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  4. I tried using a Big Muff, but I could never get it to work. I've never really experimented with Fuzz or OD on my upright, but I do use a wah, chorus, delay/reverb, and a freeze pedal and those give me zero issues with feedback, even at high volumes. I borrowed an envelope filter from a friend before and that worked really nice too.

5. Co.

Co.

Sep 10, 2006
    Germany
    I think, he used a Line 6 Pod, the red one for guitar.
    I like to use a modified Boss Metal Zone with a TC Noise Gate.
    A Danelectro Daddy O also worked really well.

6. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Here's a shot at a sound like that (attached). It's a ply bass with a Fishman Full Circle pickup straight into a Radial Bassbone OD (eq pretty much flat) with an Xotic Bass BB preamp in the effects loop. The recording is XLR direct out of the Bassbone straight into the recorder, no eq or post processing.

I was surprised at how much gain I needed to approximate the sound - I ended up turning the gain on the BB preamp almost all the way up. I had the bass and treble both turned slightly down. Even with all that gain I wasn't having any uncontrollable feedback issues standing pretty close to my amp at moderate volume.

The Xotic Bass BB is a pretty useful box with the gain down too - in that setting it's more like a clean booster with a broad bass/treble eq and can add some "fattening" to an upright sound. But like the last poster (Co.) said, that old red Line 6 Pod could also very likely get that sound in the video plus lots more (especially considering that it also has delays, reverbs, modulation, etc.). I bet you can find those used for pretty cheap these days.

Attached Files:

7. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Cool. Thanks guys. I figured he was using a POD since they used to thank Line 6 in their liner notes... Sounds like I might want to get my hands on a Tube Screamer.. First I think I have a Boss Metalzone pedal somewhere I didn't think to try.....

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022