Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What distortion used in Jamiroquai - Journey To Arnhemland

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OmBot, Jan 30, 2006.

1. OmBot

OmBot

Jan 11, 2006
    Oslo, Norway
    I've been listening alot to Jamiroquai lately, escpesially the three first albums, featuring Stuart Zender on the bass.
    His overdrive/distortion sound on Journey To Arnhemland of the album The Return Of The Space Cowboy really amazes me, I love that warm, thick sound.
    Anyone have an idea about what effect he is using?

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Boss Me6-B or Me-8b depending on the era but for that album most probably me6-b

3. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Sounds more like synth to me

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - on the verse part behind didgeridoo it sounds like a typical Toby - synth part, played on something like a mini-moog with modulation bend - it doesn't sound like the kind of envelope you get with bass guitar.

Whereas, in the "chorus" part , Stuart comes in with a nice clean bass line that emphasises the difference, as it provides the bounce that only "real" bass can !! :)

The track straight after that on the CD "Morning Glory" also starts off with what is clearly keyboard synth bass - a la Stevie Wonder...:)

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Agree with Bruce.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Well can't listen to it right now I was answering the question more as what Stuart Zender uses as effects. Don't know if he played that part of the song :D

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Heh, fair enough. FWIW, I'm pretty sure it's keyboard synth :)

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's an order! ;)