1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What distortions/overdrives/fuzzes sound good thorough a tweetered cab?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pickles, Mar 13, 2008.

1. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Which also means they'll sound good direct.

I've found that most distortions expect you to run through a guitar amp with 12" speakers and no tweet, so they don't worry about crackling nastyness above 5kHz. So far, I've found exactly one that doesn't do this ... the Aguilar AGRO. I'm just wondering if there are others out there I should mess around with?

The tone knob on most of them also is not what I want, since they roll off too low ... I don't want mush, I just don't want an electronic crackle coming out on top of my tone.

2. I use an Ibanez PD7 Phat Head in my band, for a couple of Muse covers. I'm also playing through a little Roland DB500 combo, 12" with a horn.

The sound I get with that set up is great, not a massive loss of bottom end, and a decent range from overdrive to mad fuzz. I must confess, I'm not a big pedal user, and if we drop the songs from the set, I'll probably drop the pedal too, but it does a good job for me.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Might be too mushy for you, but the Blueberry is the only dirt box I like through a tweetered cab.

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Wow ... just found those blueberry samples ... sounds great!

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Cream Pie
    Mule
    Hyperpak

Most of my cabs are tweetered and I always use my effects direct

6. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    The one and only...the field of bass distortion is still really young and very few have yet to figure it out.

7. Try a Bad Monkey but use the mixer output (speaker sim, but it pretty much just rolls off highs). Downside for you is that it does this even when in bypass mode, but if you put one in a loop it would work. Any of the Sansamps might work for you too.

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I've never had a problem running any crud boxes with a tweetered cab, including fuzz pedals with lots of treble, but I know I'm in the minority with that one.

The aforementioned Blue Berry and HomeBrew Hematoma both have a decent rolloff of high end even without relying on their tone knobs.