Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do get first?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Heres my predicament.

Im 15 -see dirt poor.

I have about 315 dollars with another 100 or so credit with my parents.

What do get first?

A bass or an amp?

I have a friend who could probly get me an SWR Working 12 for 200, good condition.

I have a bass and amp now, they are just as low as low can get. Not even Squire quality, but hey, its a bass.

I was looking for like a 400 BTB405QM, but that price is RARE.

So, what to do? Thx

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What bass and amp do you have now? Are you gigging, jamming with friends, or just practicing in the bedroom?

3. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Right now, I have a "Series 10" by Bently.

Don't ask, my friend gave it to me when he moved, its a small POS, but it plays and sounds pretty nice. J-Neck, P-Style pickups.

Amp is a Peavey Minx 110 (borrowed from a friend), old school.

I play by myself and jam with friends. Hoping to get more serious about a band and probably start playing jazz in jazz bands and such. So I need some good loud possibilities for sound.

Basses I like, to give an idea.

Jazz
    Roscoe Beck
    BTB

I would prefer a 5, but I can live without :)

4. Hilikus

Hilikus

Jul 29, 2002
    Wales UK
    umm... Isnt that Roscoe Beck expensive unless you went used

5. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Aye, its like 800 used :\ Im just giving an idea of sound.

Great name btw :)

6. Hilikus

Hilikus

Jul 29, 2002
    Wales UK
    Thanks;) everytime I see your name It reminds me of mortal kombat Noobaisabot:D

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    for that budget, here's what i'd do.

get the WM12 from your friend (good price if it's not beat)

and an essex jazz bass. the bass is $120, and with a little fretwork and setup would still come in under your budget, and these are GREAT basses.

[​IMG]

8. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Problem with Essex is the tone, from what Ive heard, doesnt match the lows I want. Its a raspy p-bass like tone, which makes me noxious.

But that matching headstock is tempting :\

Also, its not try before you buy :(

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    don't think you're going to get much better for that kind of money...

unless perhaps you go for a Peavey T-40 or old school Tokai/Kawai bass.

10. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Thats why I was saying, should I buy a bass or amp first? And then save up again for its partner?

11. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    I have this primal fear of buying a bass without playing it. Its all about feel to me.

12. This thread reminds me of something someone once said to me: I want to buy a car. I only have 400 dollars, but I don't want a POS.........hard not to laugh. (sorry)

Here's an idea, why not get the SWR amp, and spend the rest putting in better pickups and/or tailpiece fior the bass that you have?

13. Dude I'd get the amp and then i would either save my money until I could get a sweet bass or I would fix up the one you have already. You can upgrade the bridge, nut, tuners, electronics and you might have a pretty sweet bass. You could even defret it or re-do the frets.

14. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    A good amp can make even a crappy bass sound decent.

15. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    The cold hard truth-
    Don't compromise, get the best you can within reason-(You don't NEED a $5,000 bass or amp)
    BUT- Save your money, my poor young Bro'-
    Get a job (fries w/that? or whatever-I've done a lot worse!!)
    Then buy the best most reasonably priced, possibly used gear you can- For a grand, or less you can get the kind bass, same with any number of great amps- Carefully selecting used gear works too.
    I know, I know, it's a beotch- I got GAS for lots but house payments & wife who likes expensive shoes!!
    Save up for the best you can handle, 'cause when you get it you will enjoy it without worrying to upgrade later on.
    Hey, man, keep playing, keep it going!
    Good for You!

16. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    Hey man, I'm kinda in your position,I'm 14, only... 2 months ago I started dishwashing in a restaurant and now i have a 800$ amp rig and already got some money for a new bass :)

Moral of the story: carrots are yummy

17. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    for that kinda $$ you can get a Fender Made in Mexico P bass or J bass and change out the pickups to Fender Custom Shop pickups for another $50-60 and you have a pretty nice bass (not spectacular but decent with good tone). much MUCH better than an Essex

18. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Niether, work on playing bass.

19. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    OR
    You can by an Essex and change the pickups to Fender Custom Shop's, Bartoloni's, or Seymour Duncans as well as other changes for the same price. MUCH MUCH MUCH better than a Fender MIM P/J bass.