1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do guys really want for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by disenchant, Nov 30, 2006.

1. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    Arg. My girlfriends and I ALWAYS have trouble buying for our men. I have a new boyfriend this year and want to get an appropriate we-have-been-dating-for-six-months gift. Something he can open in front of my family! Something that says "I like you a lot." I hate buying guys clothes, then I feel like I'm saying "I want to change the way you dress."

He's a bass player and a drummer. Also a computer geek. I hoped to stay away from music-related gifts unless it's something really cool. A pack of bass strings? So not Christmas-y.

I'm thinking a watch because his nice watch just broke. But any other ideas? A watch seems so...cliche.

:help:

2. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    There is nothing that will make a musician more happy than giving him gear. Christmas or no christmas, I think whats important is giving something that will please rather than something with "holiday spirit". Go with bass gear, a nice strap, some strings, drum sticks, whatever he may need/want is your best bet IMHO.

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I want socks. Lots of pairs of socks that will somehow end up back in MY sock drawer as pairs, consistently.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    And those Christmas gift sets of deodorant and a towel. I love those. Get me as many of them as possible.

5. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    What about an effects pedal of some description? Maybe a DI like the SansAmp or Radial? Does he ever talk about stuff like this that he wants to get?

6. tr68gt

tr68gt Acme Corporation Beta Tester

Aug 2, 2006
    Naples, Florida
    How much money do you want to spend? I think the bass clef leather strap they have for sale here is pretty cool looking.

7. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    What I want? Bass strings, a new pickguard for my p, a set of Antiquity II for my jazz...

What I will get? Probably one of those cologne gift sets.

I could use socks too. But I'll probably get cologne gift sets.

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Every astute man needs a few gifts in his lifetime:

Pocket watch
    Nice shotgun
    Dunhill pipe

Pick any of those. If he doesn't birdhunt, too bad. If he doesn't smoke a tobacco pipe, too bad.

9. a digital camera.

10. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Not to be controversial Eric, but I would be really upset if I got any of your suggestions. Well....does the shotgun come with ammo?

11. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Personally, I don't like my wife buying surprise gear for me. She doesn't know enough about it to get the right thing most of the time, know exactly what I want/need.

I like cash and gift certificates. The things I want cost way too much money for a single person to buy, and I would feel guilty if they it. A collection of cash from my friends and family isn't tacky to me. I'd rather have them use their money to let me get something that I'll be ecstatic about, rather than spend their hard earned cash on something that makes me half-heartedly say "How nice, I've always wanted one of those" while it gathers dust somewhere because I'd be afraid of hurting someone's feelings if I gave it away, sold it, or put it in the trash.

Just my 2 cents

12. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

Hey tr68gt I'll near your area this weekend, Ft. Myers
    That's if the coming snowstorm does''nt change my plans

13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    You must not be that astute, if you wouldn't like any of these. ;)

Seriously - a pocket watch to wear with a suit, a quality shotgun to birdhunt with, and a Dunhill pipe to smoke in the evening. What more could a man want?

Okay, maybe about eighty acres in West Montana, but that's it.

14. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Well, she IS a bassist so she could figure that out...

15. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    I agree with you on the gear. I wouldn't want him buying me gear unless he knew I wanted a specific thing, so I don't really want to buy him gear. Besides wanting a new amp, I think he's all set. But what bassist does NOT want the next best thing in gear?

Gift certificates are cool gifts, I think. Good point. I'd probably do that for his birthday next year (if we're still together). For this Xmas I wanted the dollar amount to be ambiguous because I don't want a "you are worth this dollar amount" kind of feel. Only cuz it's our first Xmas 2gether.

So, no:
    Cologne
    Socks
    Guns
    Pipes

I did get him a bottle of Mike Ditka's wine signed by him (I stood in line to meet Da Coach!)

Maybe...concert tickets?

16. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola

I agree with Jive. I have gotten countless things that sit in drawers because I'm afraid I'd get caught if I regifted it.

Pick out the hobby that he loves the most and get him a gift certificate. Or enclose the reciept and express that he can return the gift with no offense taken and that you just want him to be happy.

17. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    That's more than enough for me!!!!

Can I have your number in case my wife dies? ;)

Seriously, it's not the dollar amount. It's the fact that you got something that he would like, which says that you know him and know what'll make him happy.

As a HUGE Bears fan, something like that would be something that I'd cherish for ages. It's unique, and if my wife were to get me something like that, I'd prolly cry, pee, and jump up and down with joy simulataneously.

But, I'm also a very simple man.

18. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Funny, in the last 5 years I have gotten each of those items for Christmas/Yule.

19. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    My wife has purchased books for my music collection pretty frequently. It's easy to figure out what I have and don't have, just look at the bookshelf and then a trip to Barnes & Noble. Most of the cool bass and music books I have were gifts from my wife .... DVD's are great, too, I got "Standing in the Shadow of Motown" from her last year, one of my all time favorites ..... :cool:

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Appropriate items:

A Fodera (might be tough)
    Kali's Son by Jonas Hellborg
    A years membership to WoW (you said he was a computer geek-scratch that, he might become an addict!)
    A gun
    A knitted sweater with a gun hidden inside (joke presents rock)
    Shares in an Online Gambling company (they're nice and cheap!)
    A copy of the UK FTSE 100 value report from the day he was born (again, might be hard to get)

Some of these items might be easier to *ahem* appropriate than others.