Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do i do now?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gsxtasy99, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm in my second semester at Berklee, and just got my results back from my audtion to get into the performance major. I got in, but i got pretty crappy ratings. This puts me in lousy ensembles, and limits what labs i can take. I can audition again for better ratings, but i will have to wait untill midterms next semester.

This is very upsetting. I love music, and love to play my bass, but is this the school's way of telling me to pack my bags? I'm pretty good, but no matter what i do for my audtions i can't please them. I realize now playing a chord solo probably wasn't wise, but i don't think i did as poorly as they said.

That said, mabey i shouldn't go into performance. I dunno, i like writing and compositon, and have written some very nice stuff, i just don't know if i could go into that as a major b/c i lack paino or guitar skills.

any advice would be apreciated, i'm not sure if i should stick to my guns and go with performance, or try some kind of writing/comp major

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I spent some time at Berklee and had some bad experiences also, ended up leaving shortly after 1yr.

Understand that Berklee is not the end all in the music world. Follow your heart, put your 100% in. In the end you did your best.

I will quote flea "your better off regretting something you did then something you didn't do".

I say keep to it, politics aside, play for the love playing, learn for the love of learning.

3. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Nuts to them they don't like you Slash them with a bass solo and tell them to p!$$ off!

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Absolutely do not quit and do not get discouraged by your disappointing ratings. If you know where your appraisers found you lacking, work extra hard on improving in that area. Give yourself a year to improve and learn. You can't help but improve after a year at Berklee.

Keep in mind your objective...to become as good as YOU can at the type of music YOU love to play. That is why you went to Berklee. Sure, the appraisers thought other musicians played better, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will achieve more than you will in the end.

You have a dream, work toward it. Yes, there will be setbacks, but you can learn a lot from your setbacks. Don't pace yourself against other students. Pace yourself against yourself. You are already ahead of hundreds and hundreds of musicians...you have already spent time at Berklee. You can't possibly come away empty.

This is what I learned in a much less famous music school. It took me the longest of everybody to learn. I was often the worst in the class. or in a performance. But I kept at it, even though it was often very frustrating and discouraging. What came so easily to others came hard to me. I kept slugging it out. Two years later, MOST of the musicians I studied with had dropped out or were not achieving anything significant. I was one of only a few of the ones who started with me, to graduate from that school.

Desire and motivation have a great deal to do with how far you go in the style of music you want to play. Your competitors at Berklee may seem far more talented, far more advanced, but who says they will achieve anymore in music careers than you will? Don't let setbacks reduce your resolve. Work on your weakness, continue to build your strengths and do not get discouraged by setbacks.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    or more accurately(from 'deep kick') "... as the butthole surfers said "you're better off regretting something you did than something you didn't do" ;)

6. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Since this fall i've learned more and progressed more than in the 8 years i've played bass prior. I suppose that counts for something. Also, i'm not trying to become Matt Garrison or Bill Dickens, all i want is to be able to make a living by playing my bass.

Anyways, i can't drop out, i have such a nice bass, i need to know how to use it properly
    ;)

7. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    you beeetch, that was my thunder! ;)

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    practice your arse off - that's how people get better

:)

best wishes and work hard

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's great advice when you're paying to attend the college - just annoy all the people there - then they really won't ever feel like giving you good ratings and allow you to play in better ensembles!! :rolleyes:

10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Bruce brings a good point. .................

Never listen to the 14 year old.