What do I do? Repair guy cut fret nut too low!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by drd07, Apr 22, 2003.

1. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I took my bass (a mint condition jack casady) to the repair guy to get a setup. He set the action low, but in doing this, he shaved the nut where the strings lay. Now my E string rattles when I hit it at medium force. I'm not even banging on it that hard, I never play that way, but it still rattles the string against the frets! What are my rights? Is replacing the nut expensive or possible? Will it ruin the sound quality of the bass if the nut is replaced? AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHH.

I took the bass back to him thinking that if I adjusted the action, the bass would be alright. He did this, but when I went home again to give it a real test, it still did it. That's when I realized! Is he responsible for covering the costs of replacing the nut? Help please!
  2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Nut replacement isn't that big of a deal, but if you're dead set on keeping the original nut you can have a shim put under it to raise it a little.

And yes, it should not cost you anything if redone by the original guy that goofed it up in the first place.
  3. Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    You might check to see if the problem is really the nut. Press each string between the second and third frets. While holding it down, try to slip a sheet of paper between the string and the first fret. If you have a space there, your nut is probably ok. I like to have clearance there of one to two sheets of paper.
  4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Go get the repair guy to put in a new nut in you bass free of charge. Professionals should fix any problem that they caused.
  5. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Thanks for the advice. I took it back to the guy and he said he did it because it would stay better intonated if he did that. I kind of just took my bass back. I'm still not satisfied. He changed something else now (I'm not sure if he raised the sattle or turned the truss rod), but the action is too high now. I think I might just take it to a different guy instead of dealing with this bozo! Can a bass stay intonated perfectly without having to cut the nut?
  6. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I'm having a brass nut replaced for a bone not for about 40$. If the bass were fretless than the nut would have to be lower. This isn't the case on a fretted instrument though. If the nut is too high it can affect intonation but I'm not so sure about it being to low. I think if it's buzzing, the intonation isn't of greater concern. Do the paper thing as Gander suggested. If there's space then the buzzing might not be caused by the nut being too low. It might be that the nut slot is too wide. It could be a number of things I guess. Good luck getting it fixed.:)
  7. Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    drd07, Email me and I'll email you a good article on bass setup. It's too big to post here.