What do I do?!?! (time sensitive material)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Alright, I've been talking to a friend lately, and she's been talking about her depression, and how suicide seems like such an easy answer and whatnot.

her: hey
    her: im sorry, my computer kept freezing before
    jakesaysrelax: hey
    jakesaysrelax: its cool
    jakesaysrelax: whats up?
    her: my head really hurts
    her: im this close to killing myself tonight
    her: so i dont feel good
    jakesaysrelax: come on sarah, you know thats not the answer
    her: i dunno but i wish there was a doctor for me right now
    her: instead i have to wait until tomorrow, if it ever comes
    jakesaysrelax: i'm not a doctor, but anything you need to talk about, i'm all ears
    her: im gonna go iin my room..bye, forever maybe
    Signed off at 9:14:53 PM.

Just like that, she signed off. As long as I've known her (granted, not very long) she's never been like this, so I don't think its an attenmpt for attention.

I feel so helpless...what can I do? :(
  2. If you have her number you can call, if you don't, all you can do is wait.
  3. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Anything you can do. If you can call her, do it. If you can go to her residence, do it. Losing some sleep isn't worth a lost life. If she has family or anybody else living with her, alert them.

It's difficult to determine the seriousness of this threat, but you must treat them all dead seriously. She claims her head hurts. Does she have any medical or psychological problems? Migraines in the past?

It is possible that there is an increased amount of pressure in her brain that is pressing on certain parts that control emotions and agression.
  4. Don't know her number nor her address....I'm afraid I can't get a hold of her.

In one of our conversations, she said she thinks its an illness...since its not the first time this happened to her. But I didn't know her well the last time something like this happened.

Man, I feel pretty helpless.
  5. UnsungZeros

6. 'fraid white pages wont work....gotta have property in your name

I'm googling stuff, and I'm finding some things about her, but unfortunately its nothing important
  7. UnsungZeros

I wish I could offer more help, but I'm just as powerless as you in the situation. Nothing to do, but hope for the best. Maybe she went to sleep and she'll feel differently in the morning. I really feel for you and her. Partly because I once considered suicide as an option, but I now know better after my friends and family showed me all that I had to live for. I just hope she can come to the same realization.

8. Yeah, it was an hour ago when I last talked to her, so by now she's either sleeping, or well, isn't breathing :meh: :( :bawl:

I really appreciate you for trying to help, but I really need to get off the pc myself now. I originally had only gotten on to try and study for my first huge exam for college, and now I really need to go study. But it looks like I'll have plenty of time since I'm sure I'll have trouble sleeping.

She's not one of my close friends by any means, but shes still a friend nonetheless. I'm really worried about her.

If she should awake tomorrow, she's finally seeing a professional about this, God I hope its not too late. :(
  9. I may be too late, but its worth noting that someone who tells you that they're going to commit suicide is far less likely. Women are also more inclined to attempt suicide for attention. It may not help and I hope I'm not wrong, but I don't think that you should be too worried at this point.

10. dunno if im late either but id say go to her and make sure shes ok
  11. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Most people have thought's of suicide at one time or another. That in itself isn't a threat.

What you want to ask after that statement is:

How are you going to do it?

If they have thought about it enought to develope a plan of action in their mind...they are in the danger zone.
  12. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    As ever i could be totally wrong, but sehe's probably just being an attention *****
  13. odie

odie Supporting Member

well whats the latest?

14. Well, I didn't see her in school, but shes currently on aim (although with an away message) meaning she didn't go through with it.

Maybe it was a cry for attention, I'm not sure. But she herself had to confront her parents and tell them she needed help, which tells me she has a genuine problem.

I'm not sure how to feel about this right now...I'm glad shes about see help, and i'm really glad she's still alive, but it is kind of unsettling to tell someone you might go off and kill yourself.
  15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, thats right.
    Even though I dont remember the exact statistics, I've read that women attemp many more suicides, but only very few of those are actually fatal: it is with the intention to get attention (though I still dont get the point in that...).
    However, with men, there are less attempts, but the majority of those end fatal...
  16. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    The odds are very good that she's not going to do it, and if she does, she won't die. She should really go to the hospitol if she's that edgy. Also, recommend that she see a psychiatrist, not a psychologist.
  17. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    That's too true. If she wanted to make you know she was going to do it, and actually was, you'd know it. I think that's a stuipid way to get attention in the first place. But like you said, she's never been like that... Who knows? Hope it all ends up good.