Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do i do to make a neck through bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, May 13, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    can i just take a regular body and have it cut
    for the neck?
    what kind of glue wood i use?

2. You spend much more money than it would cost to buy a (probably) better bass, shed buckets of tears through the cock-ups that are absolutely bound to happen, use up a year + of your spare time, then shed more tears cos you've got a bass that's still (probably) not as good as the one you should have bought in the first place.

Or am I being too cynical?

John

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    you are being to cynical.
    my dad is starting a buisness.
    he does bolt on basses.
    but i want a neck through bass.
    so that is why i was asking

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    You could always pitch your question in the 'Luthier's Corner' forum!

5. Sorry, Morpar'. No offence intended.

It's just that I've been down that stretch...and what a hell of a journey.

To repeat, no offence intended.

John

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well the answer is almost certainly NO - but the more important question is : where are you going to get the "through neck"? :confused:

OK - if you cut a body up into two "wings", then you will still need a custom made neck that runs though the whole bass rather than just from headstock to body-end.

The whole project will probably take just as much design skill/knowledge as building a bass from scratch and I tend to agree with RJ!

7. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Carvin sells them. There's a guy on the Carvin BBS who just finished a bass built from one of their 5-string long scale necks:

http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001168

I'm interested in this too. My father, who's a reasonably accomplished woodworker, has just offered to build one for me... and he has some gorgeous walnut he obtained from a local farmer.