what do i do to make a neck through bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, May 13, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    can i just take a regular body and have it cut
    for the neck?
    what kind of glue wood i use?
  2. You spend much more money than it would cost to buy a (probably) better bass, shed buckets of tears through the cock-ups that are absolutely bound to happen, use up a year + of your spare time, then shed more tears cos you've got a bass that's still (probably) not as good as the one you should have bought in the first place.

Or am I being too cynical?

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    you are being to cynical.
    my dad is starting a buisness.
    he does bolt on basses.
    but i want a neck through bass.
    so that is why i was asking
  4. You could always pitch your question in the 'Luthier's Corner' forum!
  5. Sorry, Morpar'. No offence intended.

It's just that I've been down that stretch...and what a hell of a journey.

To repeat, no offence intended.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well the answer is almost certainly NO - but the more important question is : where are you going to get the "through neck"? :confused:

OK - if you cut a body up into two "wings", then you will still need a custom made neck that runs though the whole bass rather than just from headstock to body-end.

The whole project will probably take just as much design skill/knowledge as building a bass from scratch and I tend to agree with RJ!
  7. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Carvin sells them. There's a guy on the Carvin BBS who just finished a bass built from one of their 5-string long scale necks:

I'm interested in this too. My father, who's a reasonably accomplished woodworker, has just offered to build one for me... and he has some gorgeous walnut he obtained from a local farmer.