Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do I do?? Want new cab? How do I decide??? Aguilar buffs...help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Ok,

My whole setup is going through a make-over in the coming months (as money is made available of course)...

My first quesrtion...

I've heard aguilar amps before, have heard player sthat use them, and I love them in that aspect but have never played through one. Can any aguilar users here give me as much info as you can about them...your thoughts on them...volume, tonal qualities, dislikes/likes, anything and EVERYTHING... keep in mind I am looking at 12 and 10 inch drivers only.

Next,
    If I decide to go with them, what do you think would be my best option? (I would possibly be running them with a QSC 1850 and a Eden Navigator pre...if anyone has any other good pre-amp suggestions for the sound I'll describe, let me know)

Would I be best quited to go with 2 seperate GS 112's, OR go with a GS 212 now and buy a GS 210 later, OR just save a bit longer and snag a SG 410 (or 2 GS 210's which would take a good deal of time to save for)...?

The tone I like is a nice growly jazz bass tone (I am leaning towards my new bass being a Marcus Miller Signature Jazz Bass and I would drop in a J-Retro deluxe preamp for more tone shaping capabilities)...I am looking for a good, even, tight, punchy, crisp slap tone which this bass gets, and for fingerstyle I like a nice even tone, with good punchy CLEAR low end (no boominess or muddiness), highs with goo clarity and body (not too thin, and not sharp or clanky), and fo rthe mids...this is where my tone gets it's character for my playing...I like a good growly sound for the low mids without them being muddy or too mushy...I liek them to be nice and punchy with good tight clarity.

SO...
    What would you reccomend from the above-stated aguilar combinations for that tone, and do you think aguilar would be the way to go for that? Any other suggestions?

(Also, if anyone has any good info on where to find good cheap new or used aguilar cabs, please let me know)

Thanks for reading and spending time on this, any help is greatly appreciated...the more detail and descriptiveness, the better.

Thanks
    Graham

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Do some searches of the forums here brother. You will get answers really quick, and the info already stated is timeless.

-Mike