1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do I do when I'm too stressed to play?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gfdhicool, Oct 17, 2013.

1. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

Jun 8, 2012
    Lately,i've been going through a lot of stress because of ****** grades,worrying about the marching band parade (we suck,since no one knows the music),homework,etc

I tried playing the usual Iron Maiden-Invaders,The Prisoner,The Number of the Beast,Run To The Hills,Gangland,and Hallowed be the Name,but I couldn't...(I can usually play this,but I just can't today....). I'm also feeling kinda sick and I feel like I suck right now...

I can't even do the 2 finger gallop right now...(Steve Harris style)

What do I do? I'm feeling really stressed...do I take a break or something?

2. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Take a break and lay off for a short while. Do something you enjoy doing, then come back to your bass.

3. senp5f

senp5f

Jan 27, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Just take a step back and take one thing at a time. Try to sort everything in your life into two piles: 1. stuff you can control the outcome of, and 2. stuff you can't. Just focus on doing your best at pile number one and forget about pile number two because worrying about those things won't help.

Music should be a release and a refuge. But sometimes you get to close to it and need to step back and get your life ironed out before you can get the most out of music.

You sound a bit younger, so I'll tell you my experience. I was heavy into formal music (band, choir) in school and also had a prog metal band. My sophomore year of college, everything exploded and I didn't do music of any sort for four years. I took that time to focus on figuring out who I was and what I was doing with my life. I also just became a fan of music for a while, the way I was as a young kid.

When I did come back to playing, I found I was a much better musician overall. And, though it's still a work in progress, I'm generally headed toward my life goals.

Bass might be everything to you, but part of the whole process of growing up is learning that life's hard and complicated and no one single thing can fulfill you. You might not be able to be happy without music, but music alone can't always make you happy.

Everyone's different but that's what I've found. Hope it helps.

4. Get yourself a djembe and pound away to some bad company or bootsy collins. Always relaxes me.

5. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Sell your gear and pack it in.

6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Yep, just take a break and do some other stuff you like :) Try to keep your head calm, although it can be very hard at some moments. I know, I've had this as well for a while :)

It doesn't work for everybody, but mostly when I'm stressed I'm taking a big walk through a forrest or I sit down behind my computer and watch some good movies (mostly WW2 movies :D ).

But then again : Not everybody has the same things to get calm. See what works for you and leave your bass guitar in the corner for a few weeks or so.

7. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Focus on your breathing; go for a walk, run, workout; play another instrument (that djembe idea sounds like a great plan to me); and take a break and do something else that you enjoy. In any case, stress is the enemy, so having a method to recognize it early and combat it before you feel completely overwhelmed by it is key. Good luck, man, and keep breathing.

8. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

Jun 8, 2012
    I'll try taking a break for a week :),ill be focused on grades,reading,and movies :)

9. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

Jun 8, 2012
    Thanks for responding guys!,i'll try taking a break and doing the things I like :)

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Play blues. FEEL IT, man!

11. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Right on, man.

12. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    The intro to "Fairies Wear Boots" will clear your mind.......

13. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Masturbation.

Lots and lots of masturbation.

14. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

Jun 8, 2012
    Love the bass/drum combo in Fairies Wear Boots while Iommi is doin his thing.I love it when Bassists don't always follow what the guitarist plays

15. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    Call up a girlfriend or boyfriend and invite them over for a bit of the old horizontal bop.

16. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Smoke a fatty and rub one out. You'll be fine.

17. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    I recommend giving up on everything else (school,etc) and focusing solely on music.

What? It worked for a few people..........

18. +1 :beer:

19. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    A two finger gallop is slightly less frenetic than a five-knuckle shuffle, but more energetic than a gentle strum.

20. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    If you do these and then write a list of what you want/need to get done for the day, the rest is cream cheese. Oh, and never get less than twelve hours sleep.