1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do I do?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by redhawk, Dec 3, 2006.

1. redhawk

redhawk

Oct 8, 2005
    I think this is the right board for this, but if not I apologize. As some may know I have been having problems with my Ibanez sr500 bass. There is a buzzing in the headstock that won't quite no matter what I try. I bought it at guitar center and bought a one year warranty (which I think I woulda got for free anyway so I think I mighta got screwed over but whatever), and I want to have someone look at it/replace it. Do I contact Ibanez, or do I bring it to GC? Thanks guys.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It might take a while to get a reply from Ibanez. Someone will have to check the bass out in person to find the problem, so I'd say take it to GC and have their repair guys look at it.

3. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    have you tried removing each string to see if it relates to a particular string??

it might be something like a worn nut?:confused:

but you have probably tried all that.

4. does it have a string retainer, that would be what I would check out

5. my guess, is that the strings aren't putting enough tension on the nut...

look at your string tree, and look at the number of wraps of string around the tuning pegs.

6. redhawk

redhawk

Oct 8, 2005
    There are plenty, plus I haven't changed the strings since I bought it so it is from the factory, unless someone at Guitar Center changed them or something.

7. Old strings can do lots of things, depending on how old this bass is, you might want to change them

8. I had the exact same thing happening on my Fender Jazz. A tech looked at it and said I didn't have enough winds on the strings around the tuners to pull the string down on the nut. I changed out the strings and had the same problem. When I place a finger against the A string right at the nut the buzzing would stop. I finally got a small file and filed out the A string slot in the nut a bit. Never buzzed again! The nut was slightly pinching the string is my thought. Hope it helps!