what do i do???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by greasemonkey, Sep 2, 2000.

1. greasemonkey

Jul 26, 2000
    for some reason, on my squire bass, i'm getting this enormous buzzing in the strings, no matter how hard i hold down the strings, it buzzes, this is the worst on the e-string. my brother said it might have something to do with the little white thing that seperates the strings up by the head of the bass, i don't know what it's called, i think the nut or something, but i just wanted to ask you people to get any help
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Is this the same thing as a Squier bass? If so, it sounds like you need a set up on it. Ask around to see where there might be a knowledgable luthier to do it for you. Usually it costs about $30 to adjust the neck and set the action. You might want to put new strings on it while you're there. A set up can make a world of difference. Be sure to discuss your style of playing with the guy, so you can figure out how high you need your action. Good luck, and good-bye.
  3. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    i have a squier p bass that works fine, doesnt buzz at all, you should definetly get yours checked by someone
  4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Yep...just sounds like it needs to be set up properly. A good setup makes all the difference in how a bass performs.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I concur. That's why I'm moving this thread to Setup, the only remaining thread without a moderator...

Will C.:cool:
  6. angel

Sep 17, 2000

Hey this is all pretty much new to me, but this site has been pretty awesome, basically I want to know the low down on bass playing :) I have been playing guitar for years, but I just started bass.... so any help would be just so appreciated. Thanx Angel xx
  7. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey Angel...welcome to Talkbass.

First off, I would spend a few moments wandering around the various forums here, then formulate some specific questions.

Are you looking for help in technique? Reading music? Buying a new bass? Writing your own music? (my favorite!)

Welcome, enjoy, poke around...post often! :)

8. ~FP~

Sep 10, 2000

same with me. I played guitar for about 8 years (I can't remember exactly), and now I try playing bass.
    Let me know how you feel while playing the bass. First I thought it is a little strange but I'm starting to love it.
    I got a four string bass, with frets, of course. As I said, it is a big difference to me between the bass and my guitar.

btw, I'm new to talkbass and I think it is the greatest resource on the net for bass-players (or those who try to be one) :)

9. I had the same problem. I don't know if it helps at all, but I posted what I did to fix it in a thread called "High vs Low Action" or some such thing. I should have my P-Bass looked at, but what I did worked out fine. Bassicly, I found that I needed to raise the nut (not sure about yours, but my nut was free floating in its notch thingie.. So I just put some stuff under it, and got the damned E string off the 1st fret (For whatever reason, the nut was so damned low, that even If I made my action about 1 centimeter, I still buzzed off that damned e string, 1st fret.. made me mad :mad: