Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Nov 9, 2002.

1. I was learning major scales patterns today and I tried as hard as I possibly could to reach from F to G to A on the E string or even C to D to E on the G string and no matter how hard I tried I could not reach all three notes at the same time and my teacher just kept pushing me to do it. I found this to be weird as most of my friends say that I have rather long fingers. Is there anything I can do technique wise to fix problem, or is this a common thing. Am I just a simple beginner with beginner problems or does everyone have bigger hands that I do??? Any suggestions?
  2. buickwaffle

May 7, 2002
    try more and youll get it, i can understand CtoDtoE on the G considering its 5 frets, but your hands will get used to stretching.
  3. Thanks for the reassurement that I am not more bizarre than I thought before I started bass. :p Oh Yeah, thanx for the tip too.
  4. deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    Yeah keep trying like buick said.....start slow and as you get it go a little faster each time until you get it down without a problem.....and then one day with a smile on your face you'll say"Wow I remember when I couldn't reach F to G to A...now it's really easy"

I find telling myself that I do a good job makes me more confident as a player...especially when I accomplish something new like that:)
  5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    the more you play and the more you stretch, the stronger your hands and fingers will get. you will also gain flexibility too so just keep at it and it will come, just give ie time...
  6. Thanx a ton, you guys have helped, and made me realize that I do not have some strange deformity. :p
  7. just remember that for a beginner anything over 4 frets is a biig jump to be playing at the same time. If you can get any 4 fret reach no problem then you are doing fine and the five fret reach will come with time and practice. Keep at it. The more you put into it the more you will get out.
    Good luck
    and have fun
  8. Thank you everyone for your responses!!!
  9. anytime bud that is what we are here for
  10. Try as I might, I cannot for the life of me recall the last time I had to play a piece that required me to reach the C, D, & E on the G string at the same time. Is this a new chordal technique?
  11. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Open strings are your friends.

Say it with me.....

12. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    As SpazFlow pointed out, open strings are your friend. You like them. They like you.

Also, it never hurts to shift... For example:

2-octave E major scale, first position shift on the E string

==0 1 4 2 4 1 3 4 1 3 4 1 3 2 4 (finger I use to fret the note)

Some people with big-ass hands would play the last 4 notes of the figure as index, middle, ring, pinky finger in order. My hands aren't big enough to, so I play it as noted above and just stick another hand position shift into the scale.

It's silly to try and stretch well beyond what your hands are capable of doing. Over time, your hands will stretch a bit further than they do when you initially start playing.. but not much. If you are having a really difficult time playing F - G - A on your E string without making a hand position shift, then maybe your hands are just too small. No big deal. Just get good at making position shifts.

Other position shift variations on the same 2 octave scale:

13. Don't worry, you will never play a bar of music using technique anything like that. Unless you like Frank Zappa.

That exercise is almost certainly to get your hands used to stretches they don't usually make, so a more musical stretch such as A to C on the G string becomes easy and natural. I think.:)
  14. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    X is right on here. You don't need to do that. Simply pivot your hand on your thumb (ala upright) to get the extra range. Don't try to force your body to do something it can't.

And fire your teacher for trying to make you.
  15. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I don't think your teacher is doing the right thing by emphasizing stretching your fingers. Learn the pivot technique instead. Check out Carol Kaye's website for the proper technique.
  16. thanx everyone for the suggestions, I mean, I know I have to know the scales and all, but I am never going to have to stretch like that far, and if I have to I will just play the same note on a different string. I will just ride this through with my teacher until we get onto different stuff cuz my teacher kicks ass, he went to music school and all so he is really really technical.