Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do I gain from gain?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimclark68, Jun 11, 2001.

1. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I just bought an Ampeg BA-115, and I realized that I don't really know what gain does relative to the master volume. This is the first amp I've had with gain control (other than a cheap Peavey practice amp). If anyone out there can give me an explanation of what gain does and some tips for using it to dial in my sound, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    from my understanding, which could be completely wrong, it's like a pre-preamp [SIC]. It determines how much of the signal you're sending into the EQ. Turnit up high enough and you may get a dirty or gritty sound.

3. A gain control's main use is to minimize noise from the amp itself. You set it as high as possible without degrading the sound. That way the signal inside the amp is as high as possible and the signal to noise ratio is thereby maxed. Noise from your bass (if active) can't be reduced this way.

Some gain knobs have a light next to them, which will light if you have a too high setting. A kid could set the gain on a Trace :).