Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do I have here?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by tkarter, Feb 14, 2006.

1. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I have a double bass. Belonged to my uncle. Inside it says the Lyon and Healy Double bass Violin. Chicago 1914

It is in pretty good shape. Well excellant shape for as old as it is. Has some repair stickers too inside naming who worked on it. One was my uncle who was a fine violin maker and luthier.

Any information about this bass would be appreciated.

Thanks

tk

2. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I will say it sounds pretty good and is ply construction. I am going to learn how to play the thing too.

tk

3. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    If you can post some pictures, it will be much easier to help you, im sure our bass experts could say something...
    congratulations anyway.

NUNO

4. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    [​IMG]

tk

5. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    [​IMG]

tk

6. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    A mod over here on this side of TB can feel free to delete my post.

175 views and one reply.

Sorry I didn't know the secret handshake.

tk
    tom elliott

7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    What Ratio of View:Replies were you expecting. That company is most famous for their Harps. Perhaps someone made some instruments for them and used their own Label. From the Pics you posted, I can't even tell what kind of wood it is or even if it's carved or Plywood. You don't give us much to go on. Some smaller sized high res pics and more of them may help at lease ID the materials used. They had makers and repairmen for Violins but I don't know if the Basses were made there or imported from Germany or somewhere else... Ok, where do I send my Bill?

8. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Your bass looks great. The more pictures the better, eg. of the back and the button where the neck joins the back. Are you sure it's plywood? I ask because you state a date of 1914, and I didn't know they made ply basses that early (any other TBers have comments??)...

BTW, the secret handshake is be patient and remain polite!
    Hope you enjoy your new instrument!

Eh_Train
    Paul

9. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think it might be helpful to ask specific questions about what you want to know about it? From my perspective you've already identified the maker, the year, construction, etc.

I don't know, just trying to help.

10. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Judging by how clean the instrument is and how much time went into building the neat old wooden stand for it, I'd say that your uncle really loved this bass. It must be a wonderful thing to play it and try to imagine all of the hours that your uncle spent coaxing beautiful music from his stringed dancing partner. What a great way to remember your uncle every day.

Steve Swan

Retailer for Paesold, Mastri, Gill, Wilfer, Shen, Kolstein, etc.

11. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hey easy there, big guy. This isn't as easy as it is on the other side. There's no seriel number that tells you the year that Fender made it and in what plant. You're post has only been up a couple of days, someone with some knowledge will chime in when they have an idea.

Many of these basses are not really that easy to trace. I've got my own bass pinned down to a country and a 5-8 year time frame, but that may be all I ever know about it.

Your bass looks like a good one. The hat pegs are a nice touch. It probably could use some strings if those have been on there for a while. Maybe take it to a luthier for some strings and have them look it over for set up, some small repair need you may not have noticed and while they're in there they can likely give you some opinions on it's origin. Different countries, eras, factories, ect have their signature in little things like the bracing on the inside and what type of finish they used.

Congrats on your bass. It'll be great for you to have one with some family history. There is a bass in my family, but oddly enough, as the only living bassist in the clan, I didn't inherit it. I'm sure you'll love yours for a long time.

12. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Thanks guys. Sorry for any disrespect.

My uncle never played it. He got it from some bluegrasser when it needed a bridge. He put the bridge on it and built that wonderful stand that holds it.

My Uncle was murdered. I inherited the bass.

I was really trying to figure out how to tell if it was ply or carved. I did look at it on the edge of the F hole and there appears to be a bit of lift on a thin piece on the back side. It looks to be a fairly thick piece of wood with a very thin ply on the inside. I was thinking maybe it was a liner of some sort and may not indicate a plywood bass.

It has a flat back. Some cracks that have been repaired. I got the information from a sticker on that can be viewed from the F hole. It also says style 1260.

I was hoping maybe some of the more knowledgeable here might know more about the brand than what I can find out by going to the site since they only build harps now.

The bass will stay in my family as long as family survives. If I can figure out the general value of the bass I will make sure it is insured so that if my house were to burn I could put the money into some kind of scholar ship in my uncles name.

I have been playing it a bit and it sounds good to my ears and is quite fun to play.

Thanks for your responses.

tk

13. ispider6

ispider6

Jan 30, 2005

Hi tkarter. I'm sorry for your loss. Are you okay? Your profile says you're in Kansas but it sounds more like South Central or something.

As far as the bass is concerned, based on the pics and what you've been saying, it's most likely a plywood. I would guess late-ish 20th cent.

14. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I am in Hoyt KS just North of Topeka.

Still dealing with the loss of my uncle.

I am sure the bass was built in 1914 since that is what the maker put on it.

I will try and take some better pics of the different aspects of it and post them soon.

I would like to know if it is a 4/4 bass or 3/4. I will measure the finger board and try to determine that.

Anyone close enough that would like to see it and play it I would welcome.

tk

15. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    This is not an ad but for refrence. When taking pics or measurements, try to follow the pattern I use. It is most helpful for one to understand the Bass. When measuring the Rib depth, do NOT include the top and back. As far as plywood goes, I have never known a Flat Back with solid wood to have a Ply top. Pics of the edges will help to ID that. If the Back has cracks thru it repaired or not, it is most likely not plywood. The FB by the way has nothing at all to do with the size of the Bass. It is most likely a 3/4 size. The 7/8ths is about the biggest people play today as 4/4 is commonly mis-used for actual 7/8 sized Basses.

Here's my Bass pages to help with the pics and measurment details. Have fun; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/double_basses.htm

16. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Thanks that is the stuff I was wanting to hear about.

It does have cracks front and rear. The reason I assumed ply was the separation of what looks like a ply or resembles one from a non luthiers stand point can be seen looking at the edge of the F hole.

I will do some reading up and get some more pictures with less size and more detail as soon as I can.

Just the scroll and tuners make this appear to be a pretty solid bass in terms of construction. Again from my unknowing point of view.

Thanks

tom

17. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I was able to determine it is 3/4 size. Now onto getting enough pics someone can tell me if it is ply or not.

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

tk