What do I need for more, "Bottom End"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drumming Puggy, Feb 9, 2006.

1. I am using a Yamaha RBX774 Bass.

A 2 X 10 Trace Elliot Cab.

A David Eden 500 Highwayman head unit.

I want more Low/bottom end.

Do I:

a) Change my Bass?
    b) Add another 2 x 10 cab?
    c) Get a 4 X 10 sell the 2 X 10?
    d) Add a 4 X 10 to the 2 X 10?
    e) Get a 1 X 15 and sell the 2 X 10?
    f) Get a 1 X 15 and use it with the 2 X 10?
    g) Get a 1 X 15 sell the 2 X 10 and also get a 4 X 10?

Any suggestions please? It doesn't have to be any of the above.

2. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Choice F will be your best bet
  3. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006

yea, the 1 15 will really enhance the "thump factor" of your playing, and is also a nice cheap alternative. some basses are inherently more "bassy", but that really wouldn't make that huge of a difference.

there are a few other questions you gotta ask yourself. firstly, what amp/2 10 cab are u using. make sure it is an 8 ohm and the new cab is also an 8 ohm (if your amp can handle a min of 4 ohms resist.)

also, for easier portability and weight, and a very similar effect, consider a 1 12 as well. you'll get more thump, but also retain more punch and clarity of sound. thats what i'm doing with my 2 10. my next big purchase, an avatar 1 12 cab in red tolex. avatar is a great bargain, btw, especially for us "less than pro" bassists.

check em out: www.avatarspeakers.com
  4. my vote is for F, 15's rule and i find that with a 210 ontop instead of a 410 the 15 cuts through a bit more. Other than that all i could suggest would be an eq pedal maybe?
  5. janek65

Apr 7, 2005
    + another zillion
  6. gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
  7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Choice G is better than F, but also more expensive and you probabally aren't going to ever need the extra 210s.
  8. Given that the WT-500 is 250W x 2 into 4 ohms, your best bet is two 4 ohm cabinets, or one big 8 ohm cabinet (bridged).

I am not familiar with the Trace cabinets. Is your 2x10" 4 ohms?

Also, cabinets vary considerably - some 2x10s have more bottom than some 4x10s. It matters which cabinet in particular you want to go with.

Adding a 4 ohm D115XLT or 4 ohm D210XST (what I have) should help fill out the bottom. The 4 ohm D212XLT has a nice round sound. IMO, in the Eden line, the XST cabinets have the best lows.

And if you go with a single cabinet in bridge mode..... An 8 ohm D410XLT run bridged should be full sounding, and quite loud too. An 8 ohm Schroeder 1210 or 1212 would also probably do the trick as well, but I have never heard them.
  9. jujube_2a

Jan 18, 2006
    Corsica, France
    You should try a 2*12 cads too.
    They handle low end better than 1*15.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

B, C, D, F, or G. All of these will get you more speakers, which will improve bottom end.
  11. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    WRONG! A good 410 (Eden D-410XST) will add TONS more bottom than a 15. Fifteens add muff, and nothing but muff.
  13. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    15"s for low-mids, high quality 10"s for real lows. IMO
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

dunno the specs on the trace cab, but anything that has a lower frequency response should help.

also, dont count out lower your treble knob. subtracting frequencies works just as well for your tone.
  15. i'd get a 1x12 cab
  16. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
  17. It actually depends on the cab and company its made from. I have played many 10's with some serious low end. Then again I have played 10's (like my backline 410) that tickles the air more than it moves it.

I have played 15's which kick you in the chest, followed by some of the most earth shaking vibration you will ever feel. I have also played 15's that are PURE MUD.

What you need more than certain speaker combinations is finding amps with high quality efficient speaker.

But most likely, choice F would provide some low end, assuming they are quality cabs with quality, efficient speakers, with the head to power them.
  18. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    more bottom isnt always better. i like it ample yet tight

wait, what was the question?
  19. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    You just need another cab.

You could get a 1x6 if it gave you more low end.:smug: