Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do I need to get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by todostusmuertos, Jul 29, 2003.

1. todostusmuertos

todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    ok, have a question.
    I have a bfx50 crate amp which is not bad at all but not big enough since I'll be putting together a band in the next 2 months, so I want to get a good amp but I hear everyone talking about cabs, power amps and crap like that and I'm just confused. (i've only been playing for about a year so I don't know much about gear)
    do I need a combo amp or a cab and head amp or what's best? how big? 120watts be ebough?
    please help and explain the pros and cons of each.
    thank you.

2. todostusmuertos

todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    budget I'd say would be around 500 bucks.
    we'll be playing in small venues.

3. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

Get a Combo. Peavey, maybe Carvin? I'd go 250w to 350w. Should last you for a few good years till time to upgrade.

PEACE!!!!!, Johno!

4. todostusmuertos

todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    cool.
    thanks,

what's really the big differences between having a combo and having a power amp with cabs?
    I'm still going through the forum looking for answers and don't see many.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    What kind of music? If it's anything with a loud drummer and distorted guitars, I recommend going w/ a used head and cab. It will get you more wattage and more flexibility. For $500 you can get some decent older gear. Solid state Peavey, Acoustic, Sunn, and Traynor amp heads go for as low as $200 on ebay. I'd get the head 1st and then try to match the cab to it. The head will tell you what its favorite cab impedance is. Ideally, you bring your bass and head to the store and listen to the cabs in your budget. Good luck!

6. todostusmuertos

todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    thanks a lot for the replies guys.
    I'll mostly be playing punk, raggae, ska, hardcore.
    little bit of everything.

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Combos = convenience all-in-one = usually not much volume, good to have one with a "line out" for p.a., I suggest atleast 100w and a 12" SWR WM-12?

Head/Cabs = more pieces, more money, more options for higher power and more speakers = more volume, this is usually good for most people, 300w+ is good starting point, couple of 12" cabs or 410, or 15+210.

Pre/poweramp/cabs = even more pieces, more money, more tone options, usually the only way to get more than 800W in one amp. yamaha Cp2000 for example.

it's kinda like the old all in one stereo system vs. separate stereo pieces. you can piece together things that work best for you. since you're just startin' out getting an adequate combo is probably the thing to do unless you have alot of money buring a hole in your pocket.

Did I mentions the SWR WM-12?? I like its tone and it has option for extra speaker and line out for p.a., plus headphone out! and its fairly loud for a combo.

8. todostusmuertos

todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    cool.
    THanks a lot, now I have a better idea.