1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    I want to replace the the stock bridge on my squier bronco, I just want something with four saddles and it would be nice if the back plate (I'm making up words here) didn't hang over like the stock one does. (I only have a Ibby GSR 200 to compare it to.)

What do I need to know to have a playable bass? I personally don't mind having to drill new holes/having the old holes show. Would any squier SS bridge work? How important is string spacing?

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Your stock bridge has probably left a footprint in the paint. Anything smaller will reveal that.

I'd recommend that you look for compensated saddles that can be installed on the same bridge but have an offset to allow intonation.

BTW - I have a Bronco and there's no problem with the intonation with the stock bridge.

Someone correct me if this is incorrect - but I think these swivel saddles will allow you to move them for better intonation: http://www.allparts.com/BP-2126-008-Bass-Swivel-Saddles_p_1058.html

You can see a photo of them in use here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/wilkinson-compensating-saddles-p-bass-262405/

Question is - does the thread on the mounting screw match? I don't know.

3. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    If you want to replace the bridge and don't care much how it looks, string spacing and getting it in the right place for scale length/intonation are what counts. Some bridges are of course meant for string through body setups but less obvious is that some require a shallow groove behind the bridge to be able to string them. Neither of these should be an issue with a Fender style replacement bridge.