1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what do i need to plug two instruments in at once

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickname, Aug 6, 2005.

  1. nickname


    Jan 22, 2005
    so i have recently addeda synthesizer to my mix, but i switch off playing bass and the keyboard. only thing is, my amp only seems to have one input. is there a little break box i can buy that will allow me to plug two instruments in at once? if so what is is called and where can i get it!

  2. nickname


    Jan 22, 2005
    but i need to have both inputs going at the same time. as i will have a loop station and have bass loops recorded in real time and then playing the synth over top of that,
  3. Wouldnt something like a Y cable yet the other way round do, a Y box if you will :p
  4. The loopstation has 2 inputs.
  5. nickname


    Jan 22, 2005
    do all loop stations have 2 inputs? with similtaneously outputing both? im looking at the boss loop station
  6. nickname


    Jan 22, 2005
    and would it be better to turn the keyboard output to XLR input instead of line?
  7. radioshack has a sweet thing that plugs into your amp then has 3 inputs on a box at the other end, each with their own volume dial
  8. TheEmptyCell

    TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

    Jul 16, 2005
    Belfast, UK
    You need an ABY box. www.loooper.com They'll build a great one for ya for cheap!
  9. softscrubmonkey


    Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    the a/b/y is for two amps with one istrument, he needs to go the other way. i think. im trying to sound like i know what im talking about.
  10. Monomer


    Jul 22, 2005

    I wouldnt even think of using anything bought from ratshack live.

    thats just asking for disaster.
  11. If its all hardwired, which i think it is, it shouldnt matter

    Either way im sure they could fire something up for him
  12. andrewd


    Sep 5, 2003
    the loooper A/B units are reversible.
  13. When you want to use them at the same time, a simple AB-Y unit won't do it without changing the tone. You need some kind of mixing unit.
  14. Jonesy4fnk

    Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

    yeah just get a 2-4 channel mixer.
  15. bugbass


    Apr 8, 2004
    You need a Radial Bassbone. Since it`s a two channel preamp/DI, you can also get the same volume for your two basses.

    And the DI is also very good
  16. nickname


    Jan 22, 2005
    its been awhile since i got back to this issue.

    were u saying that a DI could work for this? Is it really necessary to get a mixer to have 2 insruments being played at once into an amp?

    is it possible for me to MAKE something like a a/b/y switch, they all seem to be rather expensive jsut to make two audio inputs go into an amp
  17. nickname


    Jan 22, 2005
    this will allow me to play BOTH at the SAME TIME?