Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do i need to plug two instruments in at once

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickname, Aug 6, 2005.

1. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    so i have recently addeda synthesizer to my mix, but i switch off playing bass and the keyboard. only thing is, my amp only seems to have one input. is there a little break box i can buy that will allow me to plug two instruments in at once? if so what is is called and where can i get it!

Thanks

2. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    but i need to have both inputs going at the same time. as i will have a loop station and have bass loops recorded in real time and then playing the synth over top of that,

3. Wouldnt something like a Y cable yet the other way round do, a Y box if you will :p

4. The loopstation has 2 inputs.

5. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    do all loop stations have 2 inputs? with similtaneously outputing both? im looking at the boss loop station

6. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    and would it be better to turn the keyboard output to XLR input instead of line?

7. radioshack has a sweet thing that plugs into your amp then has 3 inputs on a box at the other end, each with their own volume dial

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    You need an ABY box. www.loooper.com They'll build a great one for ya for cheap!

9. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    the a/b/y is for two amps with one istrument, he needs to go the other way. i think. im trying to sound like i know what im talking about.

10. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005

I wouldnt even think of using anything bought from ratshack live.

thats just asking for disaster.

11. If its all hardwired, which i think it is, it shouldnt matter

Either way im sure they could fire something up for him

12. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    the loooper A/B units are reversible.

13. When you want to use them at the same time, a simple AB-Y unit won't do it without changing the tone. You need some kind of mixing unit.

14. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

yeah just get a 2-4 channel mixer.

15. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    You need a Radial Bassbone. Since it`s a two channel preamp/DI, you can also get the same volume for your two basses.

And the DI is also very good

16. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    its been awhile since i got back to this issue.

were u saying that a DI could work for this? Is it really necessary to get a mixer to have 2 insruments being played at once into an amp?

is it possible for me to MAKE something like a a/b/y switch, they all seem to be rather expensive jsut to make two audio inputs go into an amp

17. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    this will allow me to play BOTH at the SAME TIME?