Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do i need?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darkowl, Jan 6, 2005.

1. I live in a somewhat small town, and have been in need of an amp to play a gig for quite some time. I have been borrowing from others, and everyone chooses different setups for themselves.

However, I am looking for the cheapest possible amp to gig with. What do you reccommend? I never play anywhere even remotely large, just local venues. I would prefer getting a combo so it is not a pain in the ass, but I don't know if it is a smart choice. Help please.

Dan

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Cheapest possible gigging amp is a used Peavey 15" combo, like a TNT or TKO.

3. Are you using PA support with monitors at all the gigs you're playing? what kind of music? what are your band mates playing with?

If you've got PA support I'd recommend a small 12" combo (possibly one that kicks back) make sure it has a DI and just use it as your personnal monitor! let the PA do the rest! Hartke, SWR, laney, peavey they all make something worth checking out. Listen to them if you can!

Otherwise the peavey TNT or TKO is a great suggestion...

4. I'd get a 2*10" cab with a seperate head if I were you. Even more convenient to transport (in my opinion) and second hand you can find some bargains

5. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    If price is your primary concern, Jondog's Peavey suggestion is probably the best that you'll hear. Best bang for your buck noise out there. I think that there's a rule somewhere that says that, if you're going to be a bass player, you've have to own one at some point in your life.