Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do I need?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Piezoman, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    My band does not have a guitarist.
    Or a singer.

Not really a band. The drummer's brother has a 120 watt Crate with 2 8 inch speakers though.

For when we do complete the band. I'd like to know what I'd need to match up to that and not be just standing there like the last time we did a show with our old guitarist.

I'm lookin for a combo instead of a cab and head.

I am not lookin for 1000 watts because I dont need it(nor do I have the bling-bling). What I need with what I can afford.

$800 or less.

I just wanna be heard.

2. We all "just wanna be heard"

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    See my most recent reply to Shiftgreen's thread...but in any case, you need at least a 400W amp, or combo...check SWR and Ampeg for Combo's in your price range, and you can of course get great deals on either used or post Christmas sales.

4. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Gimme some choices+examples on those Ampegs or SWR's.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Ampeg B2R $550

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...4099202295/search/g=home/detail/base_id/41941

Buy the Ampeg new so you get the 5 year warranty.

Then get a used Bag End S15-D for around $300
    You WILL be heard! After you play a few gigs and get some more cash you can add a second cab to that set up. Either another bag End 15 or an Aguilar 12. Of course you can check out Avatar cabs too. Low prices on those cabs. I haven't played through one but they seem to be getting good reviews here.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    OOPs!
    Just re read your post and noticed you want a combo. Sorry, my bad. I would still consider my advice.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    combos are dumb.

an avatar b112, c115, and a hartke/AMP/swr workingman 300-400 watt head would easily be under your budget, sound great, be more portable, and be frickin loud.

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i'll sewcond that you are not going to get the volume you need from any combo... go with avatars (as mr. braatz has sugested) with a moderately powered and priced amp: ampeg, hartke, peavey, etc. go used and you can get a great deal!