What do I put on a flyer (ad) promoting myself for a band...?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Obsolex, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I am going to make a flyer (ad) and print a bunch out, and distribute them, but what should I put on it? I know like contact info and s||it, but what else, what my style is? Equipment? thanks, _-soto-_
  2. Amethska

Jan 27, 2003
    NJ, USA
    List your influences and favorite bands/musicians. Might be a good idea to mention how serious you are about a band: Do you just want to jam, or do you want to work like hell and make it big? What else... age shouldn't matter, but some people want to know. Past projects, how long you've been playing, how often you practice...
  3. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Look at mine ;)

It's a nice one ...
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The five years I lived in Nashville, I read many, many ads in the newspaper both for bands seeking bassists and for bassists seeking bands.

The best of these ads stated experience: "Beginner looking for start up band", "Highly experienced bassist with national touring and recording credentials looking for regular gig,""Blues bassist with ten years of experience looking to change to rock or country--pro gigs only."

They also state style and influences: "Bassist who plays in style of Limp Bizkit, Korn, and System of a Down looking for band who plays similar, but original music. No lame cover band."

They also often state equipment: "Bassist with pro equipment and transportation looking for country band. Willing to tour."

They often state time availability: "Bassist looking for Christian gig. Available nights for rehearsals." "Blues bassist looking for weekend informal jams."

They may state age of preferred band mates: "Pro bassist with country, blue grass, blues, hard rock and smooth jazz experience seeking work. Only serious paying gigs with adults
    considered." "Teenage bassist with heavy metal look and attitude, plus pro gear and rehearsal space seeking like-minded and same-aged musicians for kick-butt metal band."

They may state that they have no limits on rehearsal time, distance or frequency of travel or that they have a certain "look." Actually the appearance part is more often stated in Bassist Wanted ads.

In Nashville it was not uncommon to see ads mention drug use. "Christian band seeking bassist who lives the Christian lifestyle, is clean and sober."

Finally, I might add that your flyer should be a balance of telling enough, but not too much. If you tell too much, many bands who might have called you will not because they feel you wouldn't be interested or that you are too tied to your own concept to consider a band that doesn't quite meet your specifications.

Here's an ad that tells too much: "SEEKING BAND: Clean cut Berklee graduate bassist with two years experience in smooth jazz in the style of David Sanborn and Boney James, six months touring with light jazz quartet, plus have taught several bass students who went on to pro gigs. Have worked on three Cds, one soon-to-be released, and play both acoustic upright bass (with and without bow) and 4-, 5- and 6-string electric bass and fretless, plus synth bass when required: Am willing to consider big band, jazz, smooth jazz, Broadway, Christian pop, blues, or pop-country gigs of bands that tour and record, plus play regular weekly gigs. Reggae, polka and rap-metal bands need not apply. Band members must not do drugs. Will rehearse only in a smoke-free environment. Profanity will not be tolerated. Will not rehearse longer than three hours, nor after ten PM. Not available Sunday unless there is a paid gig. Payment in cash. Limited availability due to popular demand for my services. Don't miss out. Call------"