1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do I really need? GK head/cab and necessary wattage discussion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZetaBassist, Nov 5, 2013.

1. ZetaBassist

ZetaBassist

Nov 15, 2011
    So:
    I've been playing for a while now and am currently in a band I'm actually pretty serious about. Before you ask, we play kinda funk/rock/alternative/honestly I don't know how to describe it but basically the bass needs to be prominent in the kinda stuff that we do (and rightly so ;) ).
    After an amp malfunction and thus a gig with a loaned 50W Kustom Combo I have come to the realisation that I need an amp. Something big. Well, I think...
    That's where all of you helpful, wonderful, handsome TalkBass users come in- I think I know what I want but I have close to no clue about wattage and resultant sound.
    What I think I want is an RB1001-ii Gallien Krueger head, with what would most likely be (Gallien Krueger) 115 and 212 neo (not MBE) cabs. This is based on having a looonnnngggg look at everything, tone and power and price and whatnot, and I know that a large piece of the TalkBass pie agrees that this stuff is pretty good. Thing is, it's quite a bit of money, and I don't really know how much power I'd actually need or use, and I'd rather keep the cost down to a minimum though it isn't the main issue.

I welcome any advice or guidance you are willing to provide, including thoughts on possible purchases, though I'd like to stick with GK stuff as far as possible (love the sound). Oh, and we'd be playing mostly small to medium-sized pubs/clubs and the like, with the occasional outdoor thing and whatnot. I'd like enough power to keep me going for (ideally) a few years, not something so feeble I'd have to upgrade after a few months.
    Any (relevant) input would be received very gratefully- thanks in advance!

2. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I love my 810 but I have yet to need more then my single Neo 212 cab. If you do get 2 cabinets (which is a good idea IMO) get to of the same ones.

3. I have never paired the NEO115 and the NEO212 so I don't know how well they play together, but I think you are overthinking your wattage. The 700RB II would do just fine or the Fusion 550. I've played medium outdoor gigs with the Fusion and the NEO412 and let the PA take a powder from bass duty.

4. ZetaBassist

ZetaBassist

Nov 15, 2011
    Hmm that's what I wondered about, but then that extra 220 watts for something like an extra £150 really got me. What's the fusion like? Haven't heard much about it all.

5. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    GK gear is killer! I've been running a 800 fusion through a 212 NEO and love it. It's plenty powerful enough. That being said, I'm considering buying another 212 or a 412. Not because one 212 isn't enough I just like my sound to be a little closer to my ears.

6. First the 1001RB can be a danger to a 115 even if used with a second cab (high power even when split with a second cab).
    The Fusion 550 is still G-K but with the harmonic content that the "Boost" on the all SS RB's have pretty much always there. It IMHO has stronger low end and creamier high end than the other RB's and I find rooms/venues easier to dial in with the mid-shift selection. I would still be a little concerned running a 115 with it as the burst power has been measured at 836 watts.
    The Fusion tube preamp is a full three tube (six section) high voltage tube preamp so it is no "gimmick".

7. ZetaBassist

ZetaBassist

Nov 15, 2011
    Thanks I'll have a good look at it, do you think it would the original criteria then?
    Two 212s is looking like the best choice for cabs now...

8. The only thing I see is the small gigs are a little tough even when just using one NEO212. Can't use much gain unless you don't mind seeing the master just barely cracked on. But the 1001RB II would be harder to control for small gigs with the 700RB II being easier to keep from blowing the place out. None of them are toys and will last through many years and venue sizes. ;)

I actually have mine set to a more "modern eq" that I can taylor with my bass's tone control, pickup blend and technique and the second "channel" (really just an eq preset) set for old school thump.

9. 1001rbii and a barefaced super15.

10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I'm not so well known with GK, but I would recommend either a 4 x 10 + 1 x 15 or an 6 x 10 (though I don't know if GK builds them :D )

11. Willy B

Willy B Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Buy used to keep the cost down. There is a 1001RB-II for sale in the TB classifieds right now (I have no affiliation with the seller). Go to your local guitar store and try out some different heads and cabs too, if possible.

12. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    GK does not build a 6x10.
    That would be nice if they did.

IMO, if you are going to get that much gear, might be worth looking into a bigger cab that set @4ohms, that way you maximize your volume, save money, and easier to transport as most bigger cabs have a handle and wheels. This should be based on personal needs.

I suggest trying some of these cabs if you get the opportunity,
    GK NEO 412,
    Ampeg 610hlf,
    Markbass 106HR

13. "What I think I want is an RB1001-ii Gallien Krueger head, with what would most likely be (Gallien Krueger) 115 and 212 neo (not MBE) cabs..."

Yes, go with the RB1001-ii and one 8 ohm 212 NEO. Then add a second 8 ohm 212 NEO in the future if you start playing stadiums. I did exactly that. 90% of the time a single 212 NEO is all I need. Good luck!

14. Why :rollno:

15. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I agree with a GK Fusion 500 and one GK Neo 212 with an eye towards another, identical 212 in the future if you need to be silly loud. No need to carry around a 2001RB IMHO.

16. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    +1

The OP is in the UK--Barefaced cabs are worth a look too.

A GK mini head into a Barefaced 212 would be dynamite.

17. ZetaBassist

ZetaBassist

Nov 15, 2011
    I had wondered about a bigger cab like the 412 (or 410) mentioned above, just I figured that with two 212s I could just use one or both or whatever depending on how much I needed.

Only problem with trying out stuff is that there's really very little in my area, seem to be tons of hugeass marshall guitar amps but almost nothing for bass :( thanks for the suggestion about the used 1001 on TB btw, I reckon used would probably be the way to go.

Just had a look at the head there, only thing is I live in the UK :(
    There also seems to be very little used stuff around here, everything's in the US it would seem

18. My 412 is too large for many of the gigs I play, that is why I also have a 212.
    If you get a used G-K from the states just send me a PM with an email address and the voltage change is easy for a tech to do (except the 800RB, vertical power switch 800RB's need to have the power transformer changed).

19. Just keep looking. Something will pop up, and you can pinch a few more pennies until then.

20. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Considering your location, look at Barefaced: a pair of those 12s with a gk micro head will give you a thunderous rig that's top quality and insanely portable