Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do I want for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Oct 29, 2004.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, that time is coming. What do I want for Christmas? My parents generally spend around $300-400 on me each year for Christmas, so what do I want? I've had a hankering for a fretless, maybe go back to a fiver, or should I combine my birthday and Christmas and get a Roscoe Beck V?

2. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Get the Roscoe Beck ;)

3. no no no...

get a job...
    get married...
    have kids...
    get a mortgage...
    get lots and lots of bills...

THEN...get a Squier P and a Peavey Microbass practice amp... :(

Hey it happens to some, but I'm blessed... I have 3 basses and I love 'em all...

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Get money. That combined with old people money=Better bass.

5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    The RB would be cool. An american deluxe would be cool too. Heck, you could probably find an L-2500 in that range too. You have a few nice choices that you can go with in that price range.

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    You know you want a Bongo ;)

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    What I'm getting myself for Christmas:

Peterson Stomp Strobe
    Korg Triton Le

The Christmas present that won't come until after Christmas:

Stambaugh SC8

:hyper:

8. A Modulus Flea

A kid can dream, right?

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If you're talking about RB kinda money then you might as well talk about a Valenti.

Otherwise I would suggest a chep but nice fretless.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A used RB will run about $700, about the limit for birthday/Christmas. Any more than that, I'd have to pitch in (like $500 for a Valenti)

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Already got a Ray.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ahh, I missed the used part.

Also, $700 is pretty damn nice for a RB. Most the used ones I saw when I was looking were between $950 and $800. Good luck though.

13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

im getting one this x-mas

14. bassinator89

bassinator89

Oct 24, 2004
    I'm gunna get some money towards buying a new bass and amp because what I have now is eh. I have 300 right now and i guess ill get anywher from 100-400 from my parents and family I can never tell what they will get me.

15. I'm getting a new fretless, but my dad won't get started on it until thanksgiving, so it'll probably be a late christmas present. When I go home for thanksgiving i get to pick out the wood. :hyper: My dad just split a whole bunch of quilt/spalt/flame/burl (all in the same board) stuff, so the top will most likely be that. I haven't seen it yet, but he says its amazing. Flame maple through body neck, black limba wings, and the fingerboard is still up in the air. I played a fretless lakland skyline with a rosewood fingerboard that i liked. I'm pretty sure it was indian. Does lakland coat their fretless boards? I don't remember whether this one was or not. Oh, and its gonna be 4 strings with jazz pickups. I'm not sure what kind yet though, I want something balanced, no unnatural highs or lows. Having a dad who makes basses is awesome.

When I go back for thanksgiving, my graduation present bass (my dads #6) should be done. Its a PJ with quilted/spalted top, flame maple through body neck, macassar ebony fingerboard, black limba wings, sadowsky PJ pickups, and an aguilar OBP-1 with a passive tone control. I'm going to string it up with TI Jazz Flats. Kind of a fusion between old school and modern. I have another bass with the maple through body neck and ebony fb combo, and I strung it up with TI Flats about 6 months back and the tone was amazing. It is an extremely bright combination, so with the flats it has this amazing clarity plus the normal flatwound warmth/punch. Just imagine JPJ's tone on The Lemon Song and Ramble On but more clear/more amazing. I replaced them with the jazz rounds and it gets a similar tone, but not quite as amazing. I just wanted a bass with rounds on it. But since the flats gave the ultimate bass tone, i had to have another bass. You know how it goes :D