1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do I want for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Oct 29, 2004.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, that time is coming. What do I want for Christmas? My parents generally spend around $300-400 on me each year for Christmas, so what do I want? I've had a hankering for a fretless, maybe go back to a fiver, or should I combine my birthday and Christmas and get a Roscoe Beck V?

2. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Get the Roscoe Beck ;)

3. no no no...

get a job...
    get married...
    have kids...
    get a mortgage...
    get lots and lots of bills...

THEN...get a Squier P and a Peavey Microbass practice amp... :(

Hey it happens to some, but I'm blessed... I have 3 basses and I love 'em all...

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Get money. That combined with old people money=Better bass.

5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu ! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    The RB would be cool. An american deluxe would be cool too. Heck, you could probably find an L-2500 in that range too. You have a few nice choices that you can go with in that price range.

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    You know you want a Bongo ;)

7. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    What I'm getting myself for Christmas:

Peterson Stomp Strobe
    Korg Triton Le

The Christmas present that won't come until after Christmas:

Stambaugh SC8

:hyper:

8. A Modulus Flea

A kid can dream, right?

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If you're talking about RB kinda money then you might as well talk about a Valenti.

Otherwise I would suggest a chep but nice fretless.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A used RB will run about $700, about the limit for birthday/Christmas. Any more than that, I'd have to pitch in (like $500 for a Valenti)

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Already got a Ray.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ahh, I missed the used part.

Also, $700 is pretty damn nice for a RB. Most the used ones I saw when I was looking were between $950 and $800. Good luck though.

13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

im getting one this x-mas

14. bassinator89

bassinator89

Oct 24, 2004
    I'm gunna get some money towards buying a new bass and amp because what I have now is eh. I have 300 right now and i guess ill get anywher from 100-400 from my parents and family I can never tell what they will get me.

15. I'm getting a new fretless, but my dad won't get started on it until thanksgiving, so it'll probably be a late christmas present. When I go home for thanksgiving i get to pick out the wood. :hyper: My dad just split a whole bunch of quilt/spalt/flame/burl (all in the same board) stuff, so the top will most likely be that. I haven't seen it yet, but he says its amazing. Flame maple through body neck, black limba wings, and the fingerboard is still up in the air. I played a fretless lakland skyline with a rosewood fingerboard that i liked. I'm pretty sure it was indian. Does lakland coat their fretless boards? I don't remember whether this one was or not. Oh, and its gonna be 4 strings with jazz pickups. I'm not sure what kind yet though, I want something balanced, no unnatural highs or lows. Having a dad who makes basses is awesome.

When I go back for thanksgiving, my graduation present bass (my dads #6) should be done. Its a PJ with quilted/spalted top, flame maple through body neck, macassar ebony fingerboard, black limba wings, sadowsky PJ pickups, and an aguilar OBP-1 with a passive tone control. I'm going to string it up with TI jazz flats. Kind of a fusion between old school and modern. I have another bass with the maple through body neck and ebony fb combo, and I strung it up with TI flats about 6 months back and the tone was amazing. It is an extremely bright combination, so with the flats it has this amazing clarity plus the normal flatwound warmth/punch. Just imagine JPJ's tone on The Lemon Song and Ramble On but more clear/more amazing. I replaced them with the jazz rounds and it gets a similar tone, but not quite as amazing. I just wanted a bass with rounds on it. But since the flats gave the ultimate bass tone, i had to have another bass. You know how it goes :D