1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what do i want now?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mingusporter, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Tbers Help! New to forum though been thumpin for years, sold off all my gear a few years back and am looking to construct a rig to grow with. I have mainly played full scale fender fretted bases, a p and a couple of jazzeers. And though I've never felt totally happy with my instruments tonal characteristics Ive always made the most of what i had at the time, and got that bottom rollin.

I play pretty aggressively almost claw like thumb and index finger braced with my middle. On jazzeers i favor the neck pup and cut my tone back about half way my attack is based i think more on listening to upright guys like mingus, Chris wood, and Charlie Haden, and electric guys in early 60s reggae , and soul. I can't afford an upright, and honestly i like electric I've got a style and an approach important looking for a change in timbre i guess. Thinking maybe an Aeb or a hollow electric, or a semi hollow. Scale length is negotiable but price range not (1000 and down). Sort of on the fence about maybe going fretless, mwah plus a change in sustain and tonal airflow plus micro tones yum... Like the looks of the Allen mouse, the turner renaissance, and the kinal kompact prices New are Unrealistic though. Was thinking maybe like a fretless epi jack cassidy, a fretless Italia mondial classic, or a fretless epi Allen woody rumblekat might be cool but that calls for frankensteining which scares me. Anybody got any thoughts suggestions on models i might be missing? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

A fretless Squier Vintage Modified Jazz is an amazing bass for $300-ish. Amazingly giggable and incredibly good value.

I used one on a gig for a set and my band were blown away that it was a Squier and that it was even fretless (I was using new rounds). BTW, the other 2 basses I used that gig were a MIA Sadowsly and a 5 string Roscoe (both over $3500 new).

Rob Allen's are great but a cheap used one will be $1500.

Lastly, a used Fender American Jazz fretless in great condition be found in the $750-900 range. Another great choice.

3. I tried the squire its cool but Idk guess im looking for something hollow like an Aeb or hollowbody fretless a jazz is where i was for years but there was always something missing need more airflow around the notes ya know. But in the same token i worry about piezo quack. Im impossible.

4. U bass fretless?

5. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    Something worth looking into, considering that you seem to like an upright-like sound - TI Jazz Flat strings. There are several good threads on them here on TB. They make an electric sound about as close to an upright as is possible. They're somewhat expensive; a 4-string set might run you close to $60. I play them and, like TB'ers who have tried them, love the tone and easy playability (they're about the lowest tension flats available).

6. I used to use rotosound trubass tape wounds never tried Ti. I check em out unless i go poly
    first. Lol the only thing a bout the u bass im not too keen on is the fact that i ve got short thick fingers 30 inch scale is cool but the 21 might be pushing it.

7. That and plastic rubber or what ever strings. Oh yeah and an instrument that size would definitely showcase my gut and moobs. Haha

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Have you tried the ubass? It's so much fun to play and the strings just feel awesome. It's definately something worth trying. I love mine.

9. Im ordering the sub solidbody just gotta save a little more. I've been trying to achieve those tones on electric bass for as long as I've been playing really stoked to try it out.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Never tried the solid body but I love my spruce top fretless acoustic. Great little bass and not at all a toy. And girls think its adorable when you're 6'2 playing playing a 30 inch bass.