Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do JBL scoops sound like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Feb 28, 2003.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I have a spare 15 laying around and am thinking about building a JBL Scoop style cabinet for it. It's a cabinet that I don't intend to haul around...I've got small cabs for that. Just a fun and weird project (I like making plywood form curves).

So, what is the general tone of a JBL 4530(?) scoop?

Also, in the '80s, did JBL sell these with just the K140 driver or were others used?

Thanks!

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I couldn't really tell you what the tone is, because they're typically used as part of a triamped PA system along with mid and treble horns, and don't have to reproduce frequencies above 100-200Hz. I actually saw one bassist using a JBL double-scoop :eek:, but it was part of a biamp rig and he had a 4x10 on top.

3. I used to use a Distex copy of one of those but with an 18" Pyle driver. It was insane. I shouldn't have traded it away. It was way big, though. 2' x 2' x 4' high.

The sound was phenomenal, loud and low, and it even had good mid - high extension. I was able to run a 100 Watt tube amp with that single cabinet for every gig we played. It was loud as hell.

So in summation -
    Loud, good deep sound = Good
    Big and Heavy = Bad

Chris

4. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Billy,
    You may want to post the question at HarmonyCentral's Live Sound and Production Forum.

kim