Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do parts of songs mean?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Obsolex, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    what is everything mean?
    chorus(main part,i know ****)
    intro and outro i know
    i don't know

bridge
    interlude
    verse
    pre bridge
    end bridge

and i dunno if this is real but on a mudvayne tab its said a terror, *** is that?
    if you know any more definitions plz tell me

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Man I keep on running into your threads!

Well lets see if I can help by giving an example by using a basic, well known song.

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana

The songs starts with the into, and no lyrics.

Into

Verse (Load up on guns and bring your friends it fun to lose and to pretend.....)

Pre-Chorus (Hello Hello Hello Hello How Low....)

Chorus (With the lights out, its less dangerous. Here we are now .......)

Verse ( Ima worst at what I do best and for this gift.....)

Pre-Chorus (Hello Hello Hello Hello How Low....)

Chorus (With the lights out, its less dangerous. Here we are now .......)

Bridge (Part with no lyrics before the solo)

Solo

Verse

Chorus/outro

Thats just a basic example, and of course, not all songs have all parts, and not always in the same order, and the solo can be played over different parts of the song. Just a quick outline.

Peace
    Nick

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Is this a riddle? I'll bite.

What is everything mean?

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well it all depends... on what the definition of the word is is. :D

Man kid you sure do start alot of threads.. why don't you ask all your questions in one thread...

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It varies in so many cases. It's a load of hippie crap if you ask me... pre-bridge my ass.

6. It's pretty funny how someone who appearantly "rocks" at bass asks so many basic questions...

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I thought I was the only one who thought this..

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I knew I wasnt the only one who thought this.

Peace
    Nick

9. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    Is this really so simple? I think not. Like verse- chorus. I used to call the part of a song where the words keep changing the VERSE and the part where the words stayed the same the CHORUS.
    EXAMPLE: "once upon a time you dressed so fine threw the bums a dime" etc is the first verse of "Like a Rolling Stone". "How does it feel etc etc"
    is the chorus. Ah but it was all so simple then.
    Now Im learning the Great American Songbook .(one by one) and I find the VERSE is the introduction to the song that nobody sings anymore except Tony Bennett. They don't write em like that anymore, either. So now I refer to song parts as in the form, like AABA, ABAC A1A2 and so on.The B section we call the bridge, or less commonly, the release or channel. So WHAT the Irving Berlin do we call the A section? It's not the chorus-or is it? I dunno- But I do know none of the previous posts bothered to answser the question.

10. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    I take it back. Nickman tried. But i'd still like to see it done better than Nick or me.

11. Check this guys other threads out. You'll see why most of us aren't very "fond" of him.

12. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    Seeing what you mean.But his question still intrigued me and made me think. Does everyone here but Obsolete & I know everything about song part nomemclature? Does it matter who starts a thread if it asks a valid musical question?does the pope play latin?

13. ok, i'll try to answer the question(even if you dont like who starts the thread, try to help the guy)...

like previously stated, most choruses are the same lyrics all the time, whereas verses are the part that tell the story, so to say. a simple song can be made of just verse-choruse-verse-etc.. but, you can throw a bridge in the mix. a bridge is usually a solo of some sorts. pre-chorus is basically the beginning of the chorus, and pre-verse is basically the end of the chorus, seeing as they are mostly the same lyrics everytime around.

interlude is another way to say bridge.

here's an example of song structure, with A=verse B=chorus C=bridge

ABABCAB

now lets say D=pre-chorus E=pre-verse

ADBEADBCEADB