What do people listen to

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by brett_bassman16, Feb 20, 2004.

1. brett_bassman16

Feb 20, 2004
    Hey peoples im new and im wondering what sought of music everyone listens to, does anyone no any wicked bass pieces that possibly beat classical thumb and portrait of tracey
  2. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    you should probably repost this in the recordings section. In answer to your question I listen to jazz, blues, and jam band (phish) music. hmmmm.. Songs that are as good as classical thump or portrait of tracy... All I'm going to do is name other wooten tunes so I'm not going to do that because you probably already know them.
  3. Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    where in oz are you?
    i like many different kinds of music. mostly rock music, but a like mellower music as well. i dig music in general i suppose, just so long as it has great bass work.
  4. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The only bass solo that I can think of is Dominique Piazza's "Marie" from John McGlaughlin's "Que Alegra." I don't know if it will "beat" any other solos, but it is very musical to my ears.....and a finger buster.
  5. Mainly a punk person myself, although a bit of ska, metal, hip-hop, drum and bass, country and Jackson 5 goes down nicely.

Also, this would be better served in either the Recordings Forum or Miscallenous Forum. Just down the page from Basses on the main menu.

And welcome to TB. :)
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    this won't help but i met a guy at a music store once that was playing a classical guitar piece on a six string bass,

he was talented but it was really wankerific, hard to make a difficult solo without sounding like you are just showing off
  7. I listen to Primus. That should be all I have to say in terms of bass lines :)
  8. Metal (progressive,heavy and death)

Dream theater
    control denied
    symphony X

to name a few
  9. metal (mainly death), older rock/metal, and progressive rock...............

Lamb of God
    Dream Theater
    King Crimson
    Iron Maiden
    Black Sabbath
  10. I listen to Rock, Progressive Rock, Metal, and some Punk

Pink Floyd
    King Crimson
    Black Sabbath
    Led Zeppelin
    Social Distortion
  11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wrong forum. Kinda vague, so off to Misc.
  12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Mainly metal also. There are, IMO, some really talented bass players in metal. There are many more pop, metal, and rock bands that I love to play.
    Megadeth Tom Petty
    Black Sabbath DRI
    Pink Floyd Suicidal Tendencies
    Slayer The Offspring
    Iron Maiden Korn
    L7 Fleetwood Mac
  13. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    enjoy "rock":
    Our lady peace
    Breaking Point
    Iron Madien
    Rage Against the Machines
    Finger 11 etc...
  14. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I listen mainly to metal. I'm also big into classic rock (Yes, Rush, Pink Floyd etc.). I've been getting away from death/black metal more and more and have been getting into the slower, thicker metal sub-genres (Sludge, Stoner, Doom). Crowbar is my favorite band. :bassist:
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Wicked bass piece that beats classical thump*?....chromatic fantasy :)

anyway, I listen to music, that's about it.

*in terms of wickedness
  16. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    I'll give anything a chance when it comes to music. I do enjoy good bass work, but to me the sound of the band/artist is more important. I like things from Blink 182 (poor bass work :p , fitting though), Marvin Gaye (lots of other Mo town), Red Hot Chili Peppers/Incubus (good bass work), Stuart Hamm (inspirational bass work :p ), and loads more.

So yeah, thats me!

Andy :)
  17. Tool, Ill Nino (and most of the RoadRunnerRecords bands), Sevendust, Mudvayne and Flaw are my fave heavy music. But I've found a strange liking for music from my parents generation like The Eagles. I still can't get over how good The Eagles sound through my car stereo and sub. Embarassingly enough, I'm also a major John Denver fan. So, from Slipknot to John Denver...is there really much left?

As far as good basslines: Tommy the Cat and Wynona's Big Brown Beaver by Primus, Not Falling by Mudvayne and anything by Vic Wooten has class written all over it.

18. Evan

Jan 2, 2004
    Ska,hardcore and some punk. but mostly hardcore
  19. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Moved, but I am sure at least one person will complain I put it in the wrong place.
  20. I enjoy Rock, Jazz, metal, latin, blues, funk, fusion

Here is a small list of bands I like just to give you an Idea:
    Bela Fleck & The Flecktones
    Doobie Brothers
    Dream Theatre
    Grateful Dead
    Weather report

If you are looking for some solo material that compares to Jaco's and wootens stuff, Check out GHS(Frank Gambale, Stu Hamm and Steve Smith). Stu cuts some killer solos on those CD's. Also check out Bunny Brunell, He has some amazing stuff as well.