1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what do people think of Schecter basses in general?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shubball, Sep 13, 2008.

1. shubball

shubball

Sep 11, 2008
    Hi, I can't find anyone talking about Schecter basses on here, so I am asking the question - I know they are cheap, but they seem very solid and sound good (imo).

I'm thinking about selling my Tobias Pro 4 to get a Schecter Omen 5, if anyone has any tips (or wants to make an offer for the left hand tobias) let me know.#

Thanks

2. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    I just got a schecter 5 string.

The "elite" model

Neck thru, emg actives

There is another model above it, the "studio"

Now, the sound is very adjustable, and the pickup blend knob is very cool!

The fit and finish is good, and it looks awesome.

The low B is tight

I did tighten all the bridge hardware, to give it more sustain , which it did nicely.

I played all the 5ers at GC for about a total of 5 hours during 4 different trips there.

I wanted a BTB 575 which was very cool, but the string spacing is 19 mm, and the schecters are 16.5mm.

The tighter string spacing fit my hand better, and reminded me of my 5er yamaha I used to own back in the 90s. That spacing was tight as well.

You can pm me if you like, and I can give you more information.

And, read the harmony central reviews, most people are happy.

Yes, I am happy. It was a hard decision between the two models, elite and studio, -- but the decision for schecter was easy for me.

The MM stingray 5 was a up there, but is was almost 3x the price!

I did like the Music Man tho, just outta my budget.

I also played the warwicks, which sounded great, the neck was a little wiered for my hand.

So, hope that helps. Yes, if you want, I will talk your ear off about my new purchase!

Allen

3. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Excellent bass for the money. Just beware of the string spacing, it's too tight for some players.

4. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    nor sure which model i bought its a 001 series i think the body kinda looks like a rickenbacker
    anyway its a fantastic bass well built killer sound and endless sustain even my customized explorer bass has been gathering dust since i bought it

5. jugoziithouu

jugoziithouu

Jun 15, 2008
  6. I had a Schecter Diamond J (Jazz bass copy) for a while. I was impressed with the build quality and sounds you could get from it. It was a lot nicer than any MIM Fender bass that I've played. I can't say I'm a fan of some of the more modern-looking Schecters, though. A lot of them seem to have finishes that show fingerprints easily, you see knobs missing from the ones in music stores, and some of them have the dreaded EMG HZ sterile-sounding pickups. There are a few really nice models mixed in there, though - like the 004.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    The Schecters with a 2 band preamp don't cut through the mix ... here's a recording with a C5 ...

http://www.3dentourage.com/425/basket.mp3

If you get a Schecter then get the 3 band preamp or swap out the 2 band for a 3 band preamp ...

8. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I honestly probably will not own one cause there are just other basses that would take priority but I played a Stiletto Studio 6 string at GC and was impressed by it and I also dig the 004 and now the 005 in black - simply hot looking!

9. Terrific Bass for the Cash

10. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    i find them terrible...they distorted every amp i tried it through. i'm not used to setting an amp for active but that's the only active i've tried that does that, including an 18v musicman bongo (which sounded awesome btw!). they sure are pretty though.

11. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    i had a schecter. great bass for the money. btw, it was a schecter studio 5. tight b and easy to dial into a usable tone.

12. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    they are cheap now but I consider that they are good basses
    in the 80's schecters guitar and basses were pretty expensive and they were considered as high end instruments
    now it's not the same but I'm sure they are as good as the models in the 80's

13. Some of their basses might be priced on the cheaper side but some not so much. I have owned 2. Thought they were pretty solid basses for the money. I had an extreme 5 string that really cut through the mix. My CV4 4 string cut through but it took some tweaking.

IMO Schecters are just another bass to most TBer. No one raves about them and no one trashes them (well their have been a few posts trashing them but not many that I have seen).

Be warned though that if you buy one you might have trouble selling them unless you want to give it away. I tried to sell my 4 string on here and on Ebay several times. I ended up trading it back to the store that I bought it from on a Yamaha drum kit. :meh:

My 2 cents.

14. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I just got and got rid of a C-5, looked, played and sounded great ! but the string spacing killed it for me ... I couldn't really dig in like I do on my P-Bass:crying:

15. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    I have the Studio 8, and when used in the right application it's killer. Don't use it all the time, but when I do it's great. the tech at Drum City Guitar Land in Wheat Ridge, Co told me he's set up many and that they're great for the money, especially the ones that come stock with EMG's.

16. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    Good pad should take care of that.

I think Schecter basses are sweet. The week after I bought my Ibanez ATK I saw a Schecter studio 5 on craigslist for $300. It almost made me regret getting my ATK.

17. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I had a stiletto studio 5 and thought it was a great bass. LOW action, fast neck, and tight string spacing made it very easy to work with for anything but slap styles. Some days I wish I would've kept that bass....but at the end of the day the pups were a bit too hot for my tastes and I was ready to upgrade.

-J

18. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Very nice basses. I had an Elite 5 for a while and couldn't find anything I didn't like about it. The string spacing is narrow but since I don't slap much it worked for me. I don't like EMG pickups most of the time but the HZ's on the Elite sounded pretty good. The bass had a very stable neck and good hardware too. I sold it to get a Lakland JO5 but the Schecter wasn't that far off in build quality.