What do these features do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jkrobs, Feb 5, 2006.

1. jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    Hi I recently orderd a Yamaha BB614..Im very new to basses and was wondering if someone could tell me what these features of the guitar mean...ok here goes

active 3-band EQ,

a pickup balancer,

and chrome controls?

Please tell me what there for and do?

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    the 3-band eq allows for adjusting of the bass, mids, and treble.

The pickup balancer probably blends the pickups , based on how much volume you want to be coming from each one to get a tone you lke.

Chrome controls just means chrome hardware, ie: knobs most likely.
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Controls the chrome. Chrome has a history of inciting riots. You know, turning over cop cars and torching them and such. :bag:
  4. jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    will the book tell me how to set it up?? guessing Yamaha will give me a manual with the guitar?
  5. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Chuck -

:rollno: You are just plain wrong for that!

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    You set them up for how you want them to sound.

Different situations call for different tones. For example, most people want a deep, rounded tone for reggae. So you could perhaps turn up the bass, turn down the treble and mids, and turn the pickup balance towards the neck pickup (in general, the neck pickup is thicker and rounder in tone and the bridge pickup is thinner and punchier).

You don't need a manual for it- just have fun moving them to different spots and playing to find the sorts of tones you like.
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

The bass should arrive in 'ready to play' condition. If you're interested in learning how to 'fine tune' the physical setup (string height, etc) then you should take a vist over to the set up and repairs forum here at TB.

Your bass may come with a short guide that tells you which knobs control which function. You'll probably have 5 knobs total...

-Balancer (blend)

In the same way that when you buy a stereo, you adjust it to sound however you like, these controls do the same thing. I doubt the 'manual' will tell you how to twist the knobs, but I bet once you have it in your hands you'll have no problems in figuring out how to make sounds you like.