Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do these letters stand for? A neck? B neck? C neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lo-end, Dec 21, 2001.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I should have asked earlier about this, but what do those neck letters stand for? I think A is the thinnest neck and C is the widest or something like that, and a Fender Jazz Bass has an A neck. Am I right about this?

2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    You've got it. Of course we're talking Fender necks specifically here. The A neck is the standard jazz bass neck, 1 1/2" at the nut. The C neck is the standard precision bass neck, 1 11/16" at the nut. The B neck is a rarer custom neck, but some other Fender geek will have to hip you to the specs. This might be the so-called "boat neck", with a very deep contour (front-to-back). Jaco's "Bass of Doom" had this type of neck.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yes, you're right. A necks are nominally 1-1/2" nut width, B's 1-5/8", and C's 1-3/4". It's fairly common for them to run a little small; I'm in the process of selling my MIJ P (it's at Bass Northwest but the pic's not up yet), and the nut measures 1-11/16". But it's got a big red "C" stamped on the neck heel. I've heard of Jazzes, especially early ones running as small as 1-7/16", which is pretty narrow. The heels are all supposed to be the same, which is why you see Jazz necks on P's sometimes. Also, A necks were an option on Precisions for quite a while. Most Precisions are B necks, though C's are common in early ones.

4. So would this mean that a warwick has a Q neck:eek:

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've just recently checked out some Warwicks, and they've got some cool necks. I played a Warwick Thumb bolt-on 5 the other night and was totally blown away. It was one of the few Warwicks at GC that didn't have dead strings, and the B was the clearest B I have ever played. I haven't owned a five (or six or seven) stringer yet, but if I had the jack, this would be my first.

Craig G.- looks like we cross-posted. The B neck is actually the most common on Precisions. C's and A's are out there, but the B became standard 'way back in the late sixties or early seventies, if I'm not mistaken.

6. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    The B neck is neither rare nor custom, it is the current standard Precision Bass neck and has been for some time now.

7. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    so then, what bass has a C neck?

One thing I do know about necks:

Jazz Bass is the thinnest, Stingray is in the middle, P Bass is the widest. I found this out from warmoth. :)

8. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    Earlier Precisions and the current American Vintage reissues have the C necks.

9. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    See what Jason said.

Also, a StingRay is 1 5/8" at the nut, same as the current Precision bass, a Sterling is 1 1/2" at the nut, same as the current Jazz bass. Bear in mind that there is more to how a bass neck feels beside the width at the nut. Neck thickness front to back, fretboard radius and actual neck profile will make necks feel different. Final hand shaping of necks (Yes even on "factory mass produced" basses) will cause differences in otherwise identical basses. Always best to try 'em first hand and get one that feels right in your hands.