What do these marks mean?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by dain bramage, Feb 2, 2006.

1. G:------8------|-------------------------|

What do these things mean?

2. Your name is Smash... is that anyway from The Offspring album of the same name?
  3. BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    That just looks like a poorly written tab.
    That is one way to start off a tab. It has no musical significance.

A lot of the time the asterix means that the note is held out longer. 4* means to hold the 4 out and let it ring for a while. But, in this tab, it does not mean that.

"r" sometimes means "rest", which helps with timing. It shows up a lot in tabs with long rests between notes, and the writer was to lazy to put in extra dashes.

|=======| may be some kind of rest as well. It may be like the |=2=| of most musical scores.

But, it looks like a terrible tab. :rollno:
  4. very constructive:rolleyes:

i believe the *'s mean repeat
  5. orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    It looks like he is trying to say rest for 8 bars.
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It's an awfully written tab. I'd take standard over that type of tab any day.
  7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Looks like it was a lame attempt to make a "8 bar rest" sign.

D:-|=======|-|*----------------------* |
    A:-------------|*--2----/5----r------0-* |

Yep. The beginning part means to Rest for 8 bars.
    The *'s are a repeat sign. You repeat that bar once.

Hope it helps.
  8. I don't know what a bar is....
  9. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    a bar is the basic structure of music after rhythm notation. In 4/4 meter, the most common, there are four quarter notes in one bar, or 8 eighth notes, sixteen sixteenth notes, or any combinaiton of varying rhythms and rests that add up to 4 quarter notes. A measure, or bar, is defined by barlines, which appear in a tab as this character | stacked on top of itself

that is what two empty bars look like in 4 string tab.
    my biggest gripe with internet tabs is their lack of definate rhythm notation.

my advice is to get a lessons or at least a good book and learn to read music
  10. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA

11. MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    oh wow... I really hate tabs. I prefer looking at a sheet of music (written on a staff). But then again too few people actually read music.