1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do these Roman Numerals mean?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mastersrhythm, Apr 9, 2010.

1. mastersrhythm

mastersrhythm

Aug 28, 2006
    MastersRhythm
    Just purchased John Patitucci's 60 Melodic Etudes. There are Roman Numerals UNDER the line. Wondering if anyone can shed some light on their meaning. Is this left hand fretboard position or something?

Attached Files:

2. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    the string you should use to play that section. and from what I see, it is a book written for DB player first because you also have the DB fingering.

3. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    The fingerings look like electric bass fingerings to me as that's how I might finger that line although I would probably use the 4th finger to hit the G and A instead of the 2nd. Something to try I guess.
    The roman numerals are like Mayers said the corresponding string. B=5, E=4, A=3, D=2, G=1.

4. mastersrhythm

mastersrhythm

Aug 28, 2006
    MastersRhythm
    OMG...I didn't even thing of that. Duh! Thanks for that guys. Makes perfect sense. Tie that with the fingering and you have the proper shifts as well.

5. mastersrhythm

mastersrhythm

Aug 28, 2006
    MastersRhythm

6. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    Those are string numbers. Start that scale on the A string (III).

G = I
    D = II
    A = III
    E = IV