1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Do They Call It ?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by p-bass, Sep 14, 2008.

1. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    I left a post about needing advice on an audition I am going to and I have question,you guys know alot more about this stuff then me so ,what do they call these kind of auditions when a number of players show up at the same time ? It kinda of makes me nervous with that many Bass players around gunning for the same spot. What do they call it ?

2. A group audition?

Edit: I don't see why it matters what it's called? Just go out there and do your best :)

3. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I've heard them referred to as an "Open Audition" or "Auditioning Sessions"

4. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    also sometimes referred to as a "cattle call", although I think that's more in line with actor/actress types of auditions...

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    One purpose of the "group interview" is to see how you interact with others. For this reason, I strongly suggest being cordial with the other bassists, and openly supportive.

When I was in school, the university jazz band held its auditions in this way. Everybody showed up at once, and the director moved players in and out of the band as we read our way through some tame charts. If multiple positions are being filled at once (i.e., not just bassists), then it is a great chance to showcase your ability to support a band under relatively stressful conditions.

6. That's the term I was thinking of too.

To the OP: Is this a really killer and/or popular band? Are people dying to play with them? I personally wouldn't run an audition this way but maybe they're swamped with applicants.

In any case, let us know how it goes.

7. lexxmexx

lexxmexx

Apr 7, 2008
    +1

Unless the band is really that great, otherwise it can backfire and repel all the potential musicians who might find the band's ego too big to handle.

8. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    A bad idea.

How hard is it to give everyone a time to turn up at? Otherwise they're just wasting your time - Why do you need to be there all night? If they're that disorganised now, it's probably only going to get worse.

9. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    +1

10. I've never auditioned for a band or interivewed a job in this sort of cattle call. I can't say I'd like it. I can handle pressure, but I've grown to expect the courtesy of interviewing and auditioning on my own.

11. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    American Idol auditions? ...but I thought that was for singers only...:confused:

Jokes aside, +1 on it being a bad idea. I can't find a good reason why a band on any level would hold that kind of auditions.

12. +1. I can just see it now, one of the bassists is a monster player and the band leader announces to the auditionees (some of whom may not have had a chance to play yet) "OK, the rest of you can leave now". :D

Again, I don't know the situation but my gut tells me this is just some bar band, not American Idol.

13. P-
    Make the best of it if it ever happens again. Remember, you're also auditioning the new band. But don't miss the chance to network, connect and hang if there are some BassPlayers around! Who knows, someone might be looking for a backup OR could recommend you to a working group if they thought you would fit in well somewhere.

14. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    I guess if makes sense to hold these kind of auditions for some....personally I like to request samples...If we like the sample then we will give you a whole night to come play with us. If not then I thank em and we never have to waste each others time.

15. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    hammer time? clobberin' time?

I dunno. Good luck tho! Give 'um hell!

16. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Be sure to let us know how it went.

17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, I wouldnt hold, or go to, an audition like this.

I'm in the process of putting a new band together. Here's how I've been going about it.

1. Post detailed ad of what I'm looking for on craigslist.
    2. Assess initial response from said person, ask follow up questions.
    3. Ask even more questions, communication is key.
    4. If at this point I think the potential person might be a good match I get there number and inform them that I'll be putting together a jam session within the next week.
    5. Have the players that are already "in" come down and jam with the new guy. (at this point just my drummer and myself)
    6. After the jam, reassess said potential match's abilities and likeliness of being a skilled player. At this point, if I feel the potential match deserves another go at it then I repeat it. If I feel they are a no go I knidly inform them that I will be going in another direction and thank them for their time, even inform them of any other opportunities that they might do well in.

18. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    i think it's called a cluster f@#k

19. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    Yes, it's called a cattle call, and I think they are the most ridiculous things ever. Do you go for a job interview in front of a group of other job applicants? I did one of these once and I would never do it again.

If someone wants to audition you they should give you a one to one interaction with the band where you and only you are the focus of the audition, that way you can have their undivided attention for the time you are with them. That way everyone knows who you are and you know who everyone else is. Also, no-one is being intimidated by anyone else. That is the professional way to do things. It is also the most sensible way to do things for the auditioner if they want to get a proper indication of the applicant.

Basically herding applicants in to play in front of each other without being able to make any kind of interaction with the band and the people involved short-changes everyone since the interviewers aren't really giving each player to proper attention and the applicants are being put on the spot unfairly. As for this method of audition being time effective, I would say that screening applicants properly before you get them in to audition goes a long way to not wasting people's time.

20. +1. I wouldn't want to go through it myself and I wouldn't subject anyone else to it either.

A group job interview?!! :eek: Yikes, it's stressful enough when it's one on one!