What do think-mp3 samples

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lowblues, Jan 26, 2002.

1. We are busy mixing our new cd and have put un-mastered mp3 samples up on our web site. Check them out and give me feed back. Just go to the sneak preview link.

2. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I think if the basic tracks are that clean you have a good shot at a real cd. If... it doesn't get screwed up in post production.

When you rip to MP3, you really don't need a bitrate greater that 128. Very few people (or speakers) can hear the difference and it will be half the size.
  3. Thanks!

Could you elaborate on the post production worries? Since this is a labor of love (or plain old obsession) for us, we are going to be really picky about mastering and who does it.
  4. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    192 kpbs is the magic number, anything above no speaker can tell the difference, anything below doesn't have enough bass boost.
  5. Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I can pick out most 128kbps mp3's pretty fast. If you just want people to hear your songs 128kbps should be fine, but if you realy want a good mp3 its worth the extra size for 192kbps. The system you listen to makes some difference. I listen with my akgs alot and everything shows up.
  6. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    The most dangerous problem is the "too many cook's" issue.

Typically at final mix-down the control room is full of the whole band, each with they're own set of ears wanting to be the loudest in the mix.
    This: A. bug's the @#%& out of the engineer, B. slow's the whole process way down and C. usually end up with nobody being really happy.
    You have some degree of control over this.

The other thing is mastering. Typically the mastering facility, without even listening to the music will run it through a scope to look at the overall frequency spectrum. If they think it's wrong, they may very well change it. That's kind of the whole point of mastering. However, it kind of sux that they usually don't listen and A/B it.
    Usually it comes out better, but occaisionally you end up losing a sound quality that you specifically want. I'v seen this happen more than once.
    What you get back from mastering should sound MUCH better that what you sent. It ain't cheap.

If it doesn't the phone call usually goe's something like this: "You guy's didn't even listen to it did you? You just scoped it and cut the ????Hz didn't you? Do it again."

Those are in my experience the two big ptifalls. The hardest thing is getting good clean tracks on tape. You seem to have that so you should be fine.
  7. Good info and good advice. We are lucky in that we are not having problems with band members crowding the controls. As far as clean recording to tape, it is amazing what a 30 year old Ampex will do for you if your nice to it. The recording was done live to a 1" eight track Sony MCI. We mixed and processed it ourselves and dumped it to the Ampex 2 track. We just love the way the tape brings the music alive.

Mastering is where we will be worring. Give up your baby to a stranger and hope they dress it right.