Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do u think of these wood choices for custom bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paz, Aug 18, 2005.

1. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    the neck will be a 7 piece with

bubinga/mahogony/wenge/maple/wenge/mahogony/bubinga

the body is gonna be bubinga sandwhich over mahogony and a ebony macassar fretboard

what do u think?
    cheers

2. You misspelled mahogany, & you have a good combination of woods. I'm really thinking more of the appearance- not sure what kind of tone these materials might produce. Who's the builder?

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you really want it to be a 7-piece, then so be it, but you wont notice much difference in sound compared to a 5 or even 3-piece neck.
    Make sure the body is african mahogany - otherwise it would be a bit heavy. By "bubinga sandwhich over mahogony" you mean bubinga top and back with a mahogany core, right?
    As for the tone, it depends largely on construction and electronics, too, so all we can give you now are just guesses

4. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    yeah thats what i meant, dp custom will be making the bass, im gonna have 2 emg 40dc pick ups installed.

well i posted elsewhere about 7 piece necks, i was told it would be more stable.

5. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    bump

6. I agree with the above comments.... it might have an impact on the sound, but in my experience, multi-piece necks have been less stable for me than a good old solid piece of maple. I had a Music Man and currently have a Celinder, Lakland and Sadowsky, all with single piece maple necks, and all I have to do on all of them is an 1/8 turn in the Winter and back in the summer (and sometimes I don't even need to do that). I have a 5 piece maple/wenge neck on my Stambaugh and it's solid as a rock... had a 5 piece purpleheart/maple neck on a Fodera and it moved every week!

I guess there is some logic to a multi-piece neck reducing deadspots, since the resonant frequencies of the different woods might help... but now with graphite rods in maple necks, etc., the dead spot issue seems much less of an issue.

So... IMO... if you think it's pretty... go for it. Otherwise... save you money and get the hardest, best piece of maple you can!

7. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    thanks for the replies, but now im a bit confused what do to. it seems they are known to be more stable and to others less stable.
    maybe a 5 piece neck may be a good compromise

8. Id choose Bubinga/Mahogany/Bubinga

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    That is a lot of glue. Glue doesn't transmit vibration as well as a good solid piece of ASH. Yes, I love ash necks

Mike

10. I think what you are seeing here is a suggestion that it doesn't matter.... some necks are more stable than others.... multi-piece necks have nothing to do with it. A 5 piece neck will not be more or less stable, in general, than a 3 piece or one piece neck.... so... I would focus on the look of the neck. I'm also with Mike on this.... glue is not necessarily a 'sound helper'. If you like all the pretty stripes in the neck... go for a 5 piece. If the only reason you were considering the 7 piece was for stability... don't do it!

11. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    lol, im not in it for the pretty stripes, just the stability issue, but i'll trust what you say.
    il still have a 5 piece tho

bubinga/mahogany/wenge/mahogany/bubinga

12. Sounds like a plan. The wenge and bubinga are very hard woods.... mahogany is quite a bit softer... don't know if that's good or bad.

I really like the maple/wenge/maple/wenge/maple combination that I have on my Stambaugh. The Wenge is a very hard wood, and with the maple you have a pretty stable and bright sounding neck. That neck with an Ebony fretboard is awesome. Talk to your builder about it.... I'm just not used to seeing mahogany as a neck material... doesn't mean that's it's bad... just unusual.

Good luck and let us all know how it turns out.

K

13. My Stambaugh has maple/wenge/maple/wenge/maple and I am very happy with it as well.

[​IMG]

14. Interesting bass... what is the second single battery compartment and the second output jack for?

15. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've put my Ibanez SR506 with wenge/bubinga/wenge/bubinga/wenge neck through the harsh UP winters and then brought it into extreme heat, and that thing does not move. Sure, it's a double truss rod neck, and I wouldn't trust myself to tweak it, but that bad boy isn't going anywhere.