1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do we define as "pro" gear?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Avezzano, Jan 7, 2012.

1. From another thread, just thinking to myself and asking for discussion now: lots of musicians earn their daily bread using 100-200$ pieces of gear. Do we have a line, a standard that qualifies a piece of gear as "pro"? Do we have examples?

Just to explain my question better: I have a Markbass LMK II that I think can be considered a pro unit, ok? What about my little G&K MB200? Is it pro? If no is the answer, what about a MB500, then?

What about cabs? Basses? Confusion...

:rollno: :)

2. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    It's simply the opposite of "con" gear.

3. I agree. I never the same question. I have plenty of gear but nothing I consider pro.

4. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Anything you can use to make money with.

5. lol
    :p

6. :) yes; I think alike. But why was this term created, then? What does it exactly indicate?

I mean: if you look at a speaker manufacturer catalog (any), they identify as "pro line" their series of speakers designed, used for musical instruments (cabs & PA) and the rest is tagged as "audio" or whatever else....

Faital S.p.A. - Fabbrica Italiana Altoparlanti

under this light, any cabinet is "pro"!!! What about amps, combos, basses, effects?

7. Marketing, I would say. There's "student" gear, and then stuff without cut corners, in an ideal world.

But then you've got guys like Mark Sandman tearing (well.. tore it up, past tense) it up on 50 dollar pawnshop basses..

8. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Pro gear does not mean you're a pro, or that you have a lot of talent. However, being a pro does not "require" talent either.
    Where I think it is important to have "pro gear", is to get a foot in the door. Sort of like a college degree helps you get that first look at a job.
    If you state you have pro gear, and you do, it shows a bit more of a commitment to playing and gigging out than someone who shows up with beater gear.
    Hey, hey hey!!! Don't take it the wrong way. Everyone here knows someone who can school anyone else with a $99 bass.
    Just the same as in the job market. There are a lot of folks without college degrees who are much better than those with.
    As with most things, it's a generalization.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    IMO, pro gear does what you need it to do when you need to do it, e.g., if you have a 10 watt combo that gives the tone/volume you need for a coffee house gig, then it's "pro-gear" and so on.

10. YDN

YDN

Sep 9, 2011
    When you look at recordings from the 30's through to the 70's their 'pro' gear was pretty rough but they still shaped their tone and cut records. There is definitely some crap I wouldn't even sit my beer on out there but as long as it sounds and plays good isn't that all that is important?

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    To me, the term pro (in regards to gear, or anything else really) comes down to reliability. If the stuff you're using is constantly busting on gigs or at rehearsals then it isn't getting its job done, and you likely aren't either - and that's not professional regardless of your 'level'.

12. Gear that wont turn into dust the minute you touch it.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Pro bass costs $100, pro amp costs $100, too. You can spend more if you want, but I wouldn't buy anything that costs less.

14. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Pro Gear, to me, means...

Instrument:
    Stays in tune fairly well.
    Sounds decent.
    Plays okay (action able to be set at a level that's not ridiculously high without buzz, etc.).
    Mostly doesn't have reliability issues.

Amplifier:
    Is loud enough to be heard, if meant for playing live with.
    Sounds decent.
    Is reliable.

And that's pretty much it.

15. damn: why didn't I start this thread before!! I've spent alot on pro stuff lately and now you tell me that I am not necessarily considered a pro???

:D

16. There's one sure way to tell if it's not pro. It will have the word pro in the name! :)

17. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

One thing that's for sure, is that the manufacturer has no say in what constitutes a piece of "pro" gear.

The most useful definition comes from the marketplace, when a given item has stood the test of time, and players agree that it's stage-worthy.

Even pro-oriented companies like Epifani and Radial drop the odd clunker, from time to time.

18. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    It's all marketing.

I have an ABG that I spent $125 off ebay several years ago. Not a "pro" instrument when I got it by any definition.

But I adjusted the truss to set the neck to almost level, with just a touch of relief, properly filed the nut slots to lower/level the strings, re-ran all the internal wiring and solidly secured it inside the body, tightened the input jack, replaced the bridge saddle with a tusq blank that I hand sanded to set the proper height/ break angle, replaced the original phos-bronze hacksaw blade "strings" with Elixirs (now running Chromes), and installed a strap button on the heel.

That bass became a money-maker over the years at many weddings, parties, and smaller $paid$ events that called for an ABG presence.

So, in my mind, a "pro" instrument.

Even if only when I am actually getting paid to play it. :p

19. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The pros determine what's pro gear for their particular situation.

20. It's just a term people use to feel better about themselves and their gear while urinating on others. :ninja: