What do we need to play gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David_Swan, Aug 19, 2001.

1. David_Swan

Jul 15, 2001
    PR MN
    Ok, my band and I are in need of some stuff so we can put on some shows. All we have now is our guitars, my bass and friends electric, and other guys drums. And of course our amps. If we want to play gigs what do we need and what kind of price range would it all be in? Please reply, i really need to know this stuff.
  2. The more the better! Even if you don't want to be loud, you will still have headroom. Start at around 400 watts.
  3. Some bands think about gettting a PA. My band didn't have one for a while and we were fine. When we got one, it just gave us a feeling of insurance, in case the venue's PA didn't work or wasn't very good. They can be rather pricey though. I'd worry about getting enough headroom from my amplifier before getting a PA.
  4. totally depends on what kind of gig you're playing. i played for a packed bar last night and my 160 watts was more than enough, and my tone was killer. of course, it also depends on what kind of music you play. if your guitarists bash out walls of thick power chords with lots of distortion, you'll need more power.

other than that, stage tuners with LEDs are very useful, especially for guitarists. everybody should have backup cables, strings and picks. guitar stands are nice too - leaning your instrument up against a wall = bad.
  5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    And so's setting it on the floor! I've been to many shows where someone's set their guitar/bass on the ground and it got stepped on.
  6. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    so what do you sing through?
  7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Most people sing through P.A. systems.
  8. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    you're going to need lots of bright flashing lights, and a smoke machine... and some makeup and hair dye.. LOTS of hair dye... your bass has to have 13 strings and no frets, and its a plus if you can play standing on your head. GIRLS... you need girls too... and tshirts and stickers with your name on them. That should about do it.
  9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    what're you thinkin'? that's not all!
    you need baseball bats wrapped in bared wire, with fires, and the girls have to have boobs, preferably big ones...

It helps if you shoot someone while playing with you teeth too, the crowd really digs that.

duh! ;)
  10. When did you sing into during practice before you had a PA?
  11. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Those self powered mackies are pretty good for fronts and monitors, so i guess you would need about 6 of those at $800 a peice.
  12. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    :mad: I KNOW THIS obviously
    i was asking what David_Swan uses!:p
  13. i have a peavey basic 112 amp it's a 12 in. amp and it's like 75 wts i thinks, plus i have a phat hed pedal that also cranks it up a lot, i was wondering if you think that would be enouff for a small gig or something??

thanks - GS
  14. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you're looking to just have something to sing thru -

get a keyboard amp and a cheap mixer. run mic cables into the mixer, and put the keyboard amp in the back. but any place that regularly has music SHOULD have a PA, so you shouldn't have to worry.

as for me personally, i require at least 1000 watts for any gig :D

15. I did a gig with it. I put a Sans Amp DI bass driver infront of it to fix up the tone. I had the volume and pre-gain both at 7, eq flat, adn then the sans amp on the suggested svt setting. I was able to pull it off, but barely. In practices, it was even worse, only place in the room where you could hear the bass was when standing next to the bass speaker. I ended up upgrading to a eden half stack, and sold the peavey.

btw its a 50w amp.
  16. Very few of the venues I play have a PA, so I went out and bought my own. It's 1000watts, and has been able to handle every gig I've ever done. It's compact and light, and will fit in my station wagon with my 300watt bass rig and some lights.
  17. i just went and looked and it is 70 wt... thank you for the info.
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Visit this site. Buy a PA off it. We use a Mackie 1604 VLZ mixer board, QSC Mx1500a power amp and JBL Speakers. We're in the process of switching over to Mackie 1530 powered speakers. I'd go all Mackie ... either one of their CFX mixers with 450 powered speakers, or one of their powered mixers and some speakers.
  19. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Mackie's really good, but they're also really expensive. I'd go Behringer... They're extremely good too, not quite as good as Mackie, but in turn, not as pricey.

I think a Behringer 8 channel mixer would be good, with some powered speakers. Say, atleast two 250 watt powered speakers... It should be able to get you loud enough, plus... with an 8 channel mixer, if you buy a cd burner, you'll have a PA and something very good for recording...

P.S. 900th post, whoo
  20. We used the drummer's guitar amp, a 2x12 Peavey Combo. It worked alright for in his basement, but wouldn't be sufficient for playing shows.