1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do we really need to reach our goals?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Doc, you have a Ric? Pics?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    No I let the Ric go during the mid Eighties.

bassrique likes this.
  3. My reading comprehension suffers. Will you ever get another Ric?

I am thinking about that. Bucket list bass, But first I think I am going to pull the trigger on a Fender JMJ Mustang. This GAS has been tormenting me for a year.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I probably won’t get another unless I find a Ric 4000 (single pickup) like the one I had, and it would have to be cheap. I like the Ric sound, but Fender and Music Man style basses are what interests me most these days. I also like that Cirrus/Ken Smith sound too.

bassrique likes this.
  5. Doc, have you seen this?

Sterling RAY343ASH Electric Bass

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    bassrique likes this.
  7. I had a bad 2018 wherein I was in a hospital most of the year. Credit shot. Zzounds didn't care. I pay my cell phone bill. They hooked me up twice with easy payment plans. It's kinda like what you do with your layaway deals, but with Zzounds you get the bass / amp / cab while you pay.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don’t need that temptation.:)

bassrique likes this.
  9. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    You and thousands of others. :thumbsup:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    Your bass preferences change as you become a more experienced player IMHO. To start with you don’t really know what sound you like. You hone in on “your tone” after years of playing and trying different gear. It can be expensive. Not sure if there’s a short cut! As my bass playing improved my preference was for simpler basses. After playing many basses I realised I love the tone of a passive jazz with both pickups full.

lowdownthump and zie like this.
  11. You'd be living "the glamorous life!" :thumbsup:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    FA1E4D0B-93F2-473E-A1C6-FCE2B8CA7707.jpeg Here she is back in the day:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    lowdownthump and zie like this.
  13. To answer your question, there's a guy on youtube named Constantine Isslamow who has a lot of instructional videos (very helpful for people like me :thumbsup:) and respectable chops. He's often playing some type of Squier or MIM Fender in his vids. So if a person of his caliper can do what he does and still kick it, it tells me that expensive gear isn't necessary.

That being said, I have no way of knowing if he's modified the electronics, swapped nuts or had the best luthier in Canada level and dress the frets on those otherwise inexpensive, pedestrian necks. That would change the equation somewhat.

large.jpg

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Really, I am not so much worried about owning an expensive bass as I am about understanding that regardless of the gear, I have to put in the work. If a $5,000 bass and $3,000 rig work for me, cool. If a $300 bass and a $500 rig do the trick, cool too. I just want to get the most out of my ability either way.

MarkA, SteveCS and Doctor Morbius like this.
  15. I completely understand. And at your skill level it makes more sense to have nicer gear. At my skill level it isn't practical. I don't feel as though I've "earned" that right of passage. Maybe someday.

I may be missing the point on this discussion, but what any of us choose is really the "correct" answer. It's unlikely that anyone is going to have a frame of reference other than their own.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  16. Splash7

Splash7

Sep 18, 2019
    Texas
    Or a $150 bass and a $100 rig. :)

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  17. I went back and reread some posts and I definitely missed the point as I thought it was a "gear" thread.

What do we need?
    • Motivation
    • Desire
    • Talent
    • Supportive friends, family, spouse
    • Time
    • Resourcefulness
    • Basic needs already met (food, shelter, etc.)

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  18. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    Hard work beats talent if talent doesn’t work hard.

Marihino, zie and Doctor Morbius like this.
  19. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Tenacity.

20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I did talk about gear, but talked about what do we need to reach goals. We all need more than material things to reach goals.

RayWithFlats and Doctor Morbius like this.