1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do we really need to reach our goals?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    No one wants to get sick.

2. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    Another quote from the Kenny Werner book...

Maybe you admit that your goal is to sound good, and you ask, What’s wrong with that? Well, let’s apply the issue to speaking. Imagine you asked someone, "What is your goal when you speak?" and they answered, "I just really want to sound good! I really need to sound good, and I won’t rest until I sound good!" What would you think of that person? Probably that he’s pretty shallow. But in music, people exert real effort, withholding love from themselves and others, just trying to sound good. What a foolish waste of a life!

3. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    “If you master the English language, does that make you a poet? Being able to speak in complete sentences is not an art, but a technical skill. Being a poet, a playwright or lyricist - that is art“

4. One of the biggest lessons I learned in bass playing, I gave myself.

At some point, I realized that I was not going to be the best bassist in my town. I also realized that I was not going to be the most crummy. I was going to be somewhere in between. Forever, no matter what I did or didn't do.

This allowed me to put my ego and anxiety aside. It freed me to play.

So for me, what is necessary to reach my goals isn't so much gear. It's a mindset. It starts with acceptance of who I am. And putting aside who others are.

lowdownthump and BasEd like this.
  5. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I don't know about 'us', but my needs are fairly basic. I can show up to pretty much any gig, bringing any one of my basses (price range $800-$3000+), a Sansamp BDDI pedal, strap&cable and a clip on tuner.
    I have played basses in the $400-500 bracket that would also do fine, but I do not happen to own one.

lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.