1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do we think of this Brice 8-string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doctorpunch, May 11, 2010.

1. I wanna give 8 string a shot but I don't feel like dropping $700 on something I might not like and I saw this bad boy:

http://www.rondomusic.com/hxb408.html

On paper it's a great buy.

Whatcha think?

2. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    It's probably pretty nice!

And at some point, you'll probably realize that you can tell it's a $350 dollar instrument.

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    If you don't expect too much, then you will be pleased. If you get it in your head that for $350 you'll get a real piece of fine craftsmanship... well, buddy - I think you get my point.

4. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I'd see if a local shop has a comparable 8 string you could try and see if you like it. I wouldn't drop $350.00 to see how I might like something.

5. Absolutely no locals shops carry 8 string basses. In fact, anything with more than 5 would be a stretch.

6. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    Just buy it...you can always sell it if you don't like it.

7. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    "Has anyone bought a Brice 8-string from Rondo Music?" would have been a more appropriate thread title since you're inquiring about a Brice bass and not an SX.

8. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Same thing mate... made in the same place, with the same woods, on the same machines, sold by the same people, only difference... the name on the headstock.

9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I think that an 8 string is the worst possible bass to go cheap on. For $350, I'd order a Warmoth 8 string neck, some tuners and a bridge to go on one of my Jazz basses, and if I really loved it, then I'd order a body and pickups.

10. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    The thread title is still completely ambiguous. There are already 100 "SX" threads here.

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    That is not an SX it is a Brice.

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Dean makes a good 8 string bass for under $600

[​IMG]

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    mod title edit ftw...

14. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Tyler on top of things FTW

15. JVA

JVA

Jan 8, 2006
    Queens, New York
    FWIW: I just sold a Schecter Stilleto studio 8 a few weeks ago. The quality and craftsmanship was very impressive and it had a MONSTER tone. But I'm a finger player.... I felt like I was tickling an egg-slicer every time I played it. If your a pick player, your good to go.

Check out the Schecter. I bought it for $400 and sold it 2 yrs. later for $360. It was worth the 2 yr. $40 rental.

GRM063-vi.

16. The Hagstrom only has 4 bridge saddles.
    You really need one with 8, unless you like that out-of-tune garage band sound.

The Brice is very much like my Rogue--only obvious differences are:
    Brice has 5 neck bolts
    35" scale
    2-band EQ
    Bubinga top on alder body

Rogue has 6 bolts
    34" scale
    3 band EQ
    Maple top on basswood body

Otherwise they could be twins.
    Can't tell from the pictures if the Brice has 8 saddles, but it probably does--I would make sure first because this is a deal-breaker (for me).

My Rogue is surprisingly well-made for such an inexpensive instrument, and I got it in almost-new condition for less than $200.

I say go for it.

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I always thought that an 8 string bass would be awesome tuned DDGGCCFF

18. comes with 50% more strings for only 100% more dollar!

i say buy one. i owned a brice before (short scale AL) and it was a very high quality instrument. no quality issues at all. i've actually had my eye on that one for a while, but the huge 35" scale with the 1.75" nut scares the bajesus out of me.