What do we want?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fritzi40, Mar 20, 2005.

1. fritzi40

Dec 6, 2004
    My son (16) plays bass in a band that plays gigs in a youth center, a converted restaurant and some outdoor venues. I was wondering what size bass amp I need to get him? We don't have a lot of money to spend on this. I would like to limit it to $400. I know that is paltry, but I am currently not working and my husband will even balk at this amount.I just feel he needs to have the right equipment if we can get it.
    He plays an Excel 4 string and an OLP 5 string. They play metal. Thanks.
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Look used in your local area and online. Don't buy a cab online, as the shipping will be expensive. In that price range, I'd go for volume over quality of sound, so try to get about 300 or 350 watts minimum and at least a 410 (4X10 inch speakers) cab for outdoors or a 210 cab and 115 cab. As for brands, look for Eden, Avatar, SWR, Mesa Boogie (though it may be a bit expensive), Ashdown, and Ampeg. Some Berhinger equipment may be ok as well. For that price range, don't be too picky.
  3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    For about $400, I'd say get a used Peavey 1x15" combo with about 130 or 150 watts. Heck, even new I think they're under $500. They sound decent, and they're as reliable as it gets. Many of us started out there.

If you could find a used Genz Benz ML200 112 or 115 combo, that might be better, but they aren't as common.
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Well, what kind of amps do the guitarists have? He may not need anything overly powerful if he doesn't have any volume competition.
  5. Jmaginnis

Mar 15, 2005
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i second the idea that for that price range and the volume requirements (im thinking metal is going to require more, and they play aoutside), go for volume over qulaity tone at this point. i also second looking at used and not buying a cabinet online.

you probably want to get something thats going to put 200 or more watts into the speakers you get, and two tens or a single 15 would be the minimum, twice that would be better but you might not be able to afford that right away, but depending upon the amp and cabinet, you could get a second fifteen or two tens later ($ from gigs is a good way to buy that).
  7. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Ashdown is a good plan. Also look at Fender Bassman and Rumble combos.
  8. Jmaginnis

Mar 15, 2005
    Based off of what Ivan said, the combo I suggested pushes 300 watts, and you can chain another cab on there and get it really loud.
  9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    That amp isn't rated too highly and I checked Harmony Central reviews... Most of the reviews say its highly unreliable. Nothing against Ashdown, but that seems like a kinda crappy amp.
  10. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Definately go used.

Peavey 115 combo:
    -This will be 200Watts with a 115 speaker. If thats not enough, you can but an Avatar cab for as low as $220, and you'll have 300Watts with more speaker surface. I'd recommend a 210 to compliment the 115 :)

Peavey Max 700 Head:
    -This would put out up to 700Watts, thus providing enough power for you to never have to upgrade. If you could get it for $200, you could land an Avatar cab for cheap, and keep it just over $400.

If you could manage to scrape together an additional $100 for the purchase, you could purchase an Avatar cab with the Ashdown MAG head throguh Avatar. The head is cheaper than some dealers sell it, and comes with free shipping. That would be $220 for the SB112 (cheapest cab) and $278 for the head.
    Check out www.Avatarspeakers.com for this deal.

Good luck :)
  11. I too vouch for the Peavey combos. Mine served me well for the beginning of my bass playing journey.
  12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Where do you live? Just wondering, because you might possibly run into someone local on this forum looking to rid himself of an amp...
  13. Jmaginnis

Mar 15, 2005

He's actually lowered the cab to $200. A flat out steal! :bassist:
  14. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    The first amp I had was a peavey TNT combo (15"er). Don't sound all that phenomenal, but I got mine for around $150 or so used and those suckers are built to take abuse. They are solid enough that I wouldn't mind picking one up from a pawn shop as long as I checked it first.

However, I think that any combo under 350 watts or so is not going to cut it volume wise for outdoor shows. Is PA support available?
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

No joke. The price on that cab has been dropping alot recently. Makes me wonder what he's making room for?????

Maybe it's just me, but selling amps and amp packages is something Dave should stay away from.

16. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I second looking used.
    But first - find out what his guitarist are using.

When I first started out I played out of a 60W Peavey keyboard amp before moving on up to a Fender BXR300. This was for church gigs and small clubs. (Less than 100 person occupancy, stages about the size of a 1 car garage)

If he plays clubs with PA's and soundmen, he can always be miked or run through the PA should his amp have a "Line Out" extension.

Also think size.
    When I got my Fender BXR - (one 15" speaker, 95 lb 300W combo amp) I had to have the casters and would scratch my mom's car getting in and out.

The Fender's and Peaveys get a bad rap around here because they don't sound like the big $$$ boutique amps, but they get the job done. Peaveys are also incredibly well built. Mine stayed in the trunk of my car the whole year once (was my school's amp) during the winter and a Texas summer. It banged around and slid all over the trunk as I was a teenager with his first car, and when I took it out, it always played fine.

Anyhow, because the Fender BXR series is now discontniued and not in high demand, I would keep a look out for one of these if you have the strength and space.

I'd sell you mine, but it has sentimental value. :cool:

Here's a write up on it:

Attached Files:

17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I was just on bassgear.com and saw this ad:
    FOR SALE: various bass speaker cabinets
    Posted: : 03/20/2005
    Category: Bass Cabs
    Condition: Good
    Asking Price: $

The following bass speaker cabinets are for sale (local pickup only - located in Central New Jersey:
    1) Old Carvin 410T (8 ohms) good++ condition - includes Carvin vinyl cover -- $125.
    2) Eden 210-XLT (4 ohms) good condition. Saw lots of gigs but cared for; sounds great -- $235.00.
    3) Very old Peavey single 15 cabinet (good condition). Original black widow speaker replaced with EV speaker -- $125.
    4) SWR Goliath Jr. III (4 ohm) good+ condition. Sounds great, and breaks-up nice when pushed hard. $150.
    5) Peavey Mark VI bass head (series 402). This head has seen lots of action and shows it. Works but I would consider in poor condition -- $20

FULL NAME: Fred Saunders
    CITY, STATE: Scotch Plains, NJ
    EMAIL: f_saunders@yahoo.com

The Peavey Mark VI is 250 watts/4Ohm and 400 watts/2Ohm (though I wouldn't run it that low). I think he means $200 for it, but as long as it works thats a good deal. The Carvin 410 and SWR 210 are priced very low in this ad, and though I usually wouldn't recomment buying cabs online due to shipping, you may want to consider one of those. The Eden 210 is a great cab if you want to spend a little more, and shipping shouldn't be too much for a 210. If the head is really just $20, get the Eden and the SWR. Those cabs are very high-end, and will last a long time.
    Edit: I dunno if the head would run with the Carvin, as I havn't seen impedance ratings at 8 Ohm for the Mark VI.
  18. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Where do you live?

Might I suggest looking at something local, perhaps using www.craigslist.org for some leads in your area? Depending on the area, some bass amps come up for GREAT prices all the time, and local pickups save a load on shipping.

If you don't want to go used, the Ashdown combo sounds pretty nice for the money. If the $30 is a problem, just eat store brand food for a week. I did this to pay for strings this summer. I was broke, it tasted kind of wierd, but I managed to restring all my babies.
  19. Well, the old Peavey Mark VI would certainly work with an 8 ohm cab, it should produce around 150 watts into that impedance.

I wouldn't hesitate to run it into a 2 ohm load, I've got an old Series 400 that predates the Mark IV by a few years, and it has run into 2 ohms all evening without breaking a sweat.