What do y'all think about this rig idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, May 30, 2005.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I've been thinking, how would this rig sound?

Fender TBP-1 tube bass preamp w/crossover

mids & highs into:

Carvin TS100 50/50/100 bridged tube power amp into some kind of guitar 2x12 or 4x12.

lows into:
    Peavey DPC1400x digital poweramp (single rackspace) into some sort of bass cab (either 18 inch or Schroeder cabs)

Put all of this into a 4 space rack, 26lbs+13lbs+15lbs=54lbs+whatever the rack may weigh. A bit heavy, but not too unweildly.

What do y'all think of my idea?

Hey, I can dream can't I? :D
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, I like the preamp, but I'd rather see something like a Mesa Boogie Strategy 400/500 (or the big Aggie or Dem) for the tube amp side of things, plus a real lead sled (like the Crest CA9) for the low end. I have run rigs similar to this (different preamp, and all bass cabs), and I like the possibilities offered by combining tube and SS amps.

3. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I don't think you really gain much by bi-amping. I would go with the preamp into the Peavey (in a 2 space rack) into a 2X12 cab - full range. You would have a very powerful, portable, light and loud rig.

I'm all about downsizing.
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'm not. :smug:
  5. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Nice idea, but i would have a tri-amp setup with a double crossover :).

So that i get:

500-5000 HZ into two 4x10 cabs
    120-500 HZ into two 2x15 cabs
    20-120 HZ into two 1x18 cabs

With a huge SS amp for the "sub" section, and a huge valve amp for the "bass" and "midrange" section ;)

Now THATS dreamin'! :D
  6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Heh, for the sound i'm goin after, Biamping will be plenty for me. I'm lookin for two seperate sounds, not three.
  7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Monsterous! There is a part of me that loves to see monster bass rigs come to life, fortunately(for my back and bank account) the part of me that craves simplicity has a bit more juice these days. Sometimes I feel like the cartoon character with an Angel on one shoulder and the Devil on the other, so I thank you for the opportunity to live vicariously(sp?) through you guys that take a more fearless approach to amplification!!
    If you are planning to put that all into one rack you should look into the heat/cooling situation. Some of that equipment may require some extra space and/or auxilary cooling to run properly and safely, also I would say a power conditioning system would be appropriate as well so take that into account when choosing a rack, Oh yea, we will need to see pics when it's all done!!!!