1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do ya'll think of a Modulus Flea's slap sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lird12, Jul 1, 2012.

1. lird12

lird12

Mar 14, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Some say it's sterile sounding while others say it's awesome. Comments?

2. CORBS

CORBS

Dec 28, 2010
    I know that Flea does not play his 60s Jazz Bass because it does not cut through live, and he has been playing his Modulus for a very long time and continually. I played one a long time ago and it was not sterile or "plastic" at all, the graphite neck was comfortable as well.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I had both a Ray and a Flea at the same time. Ended up selling the Flea because it had zero low end.

4. lird12

lird12

Mar 14, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    with a different pickup maybe it could fix the low end problem?

5. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    It had a Bart and the 3-band Bart pre. Another TB'er had a similar issue with the Aguilar 3-band pre, but I'm not sure which pup he had. I know the Barts aren't favored with those basses, so perhaps a different pup would be better.

6. southpaw420

southpaw420

Aug 25, 2007
    If Im not mistaken, Flea uses Lane Poor pups in his Modulus'. Not sure what kind of difference that would make.

7. Meh.

8. EtoG

EtoG

Sep 7, 2010
  9. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
  10. EtoG

EtoG

Sep 7, 2010
    Good to know. Thanks! :)

11. It doesn't sound that way when Flea plays it...just sayin'.

12. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Doesn't sound sterile to me... He digs in a lot though, that might have something to do with it. He (or his tech) probably hand selected the ones he has so they had something special.

13. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NY/NJ Metro Area
    Question is - what do YOU think? Thats all that matters.

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I prefer my Modulus Quantum Sweetspot for slap over a Flea/Funk.

Always hated EMGs, but they sound great in a Quantum.

I switched from my 1973 Jazz, 1978 Stingray and 3 Sadowskys.

Really like the slap tone and it has great bottom end.

15. GlassOnion

GlassOnion 1.21 Gigawatts

Apr 4, 2011
    Tempe Arizona
    I own a FU4 with Lane Poor MM 3.5 pickup that replaced the factory basslines MM style pickup. It sings and can easily nail the flea sound. I do agree with above posters, it has a very bright side to it. Lots of depth in tone, very complex harmoics. Is not as growly as my Warwick thumb or p-bass or stingray though. I currently have it paired with an Aguilar OBP1.

My question, does anyone know what preamp Flea uses in his modulus/lane poor set up?

16. yeah the flea can have a lot of high end...perhaps due to the graphite sonic response or whatever it was that I read.
    There is tons of low end, my preamp is the aguilar 2 band with the basslines p/up, 9 volt.
    compared to my fender with 18 volt aguilar 2 band behind a bartolini set of j's, the bass doesnt get as supremely huge, but to say it has no low end...these people got very unlucky with their build.
    Not sterile, clean, not sterile.