What do you advise this band-less bassist to do?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Mar 6, 2010.

1. I am between bands, looking for a new band.

I am totally addicted to gigging, it's awful.

I am auditioning, looking, but at the same time, I realize that all I did the last 9 months was learn songs...

Besides the songs I have to audition on, I have no song to learn, really, because it's useless, now, some of these songs I may never play again (play sad music here).

What do you advise me to do in the meantime?

Exercise? :D

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Take piano and guitar lessons................................:cool:

3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Learn to sing.

4. Bassists are always in demand. Put the word out - word of mouth - that you are looking for a band to hook up with.

The more people you talk with the better your chances of receiving a phone call.

Good luck.

5. i don't think there is any big secret....open mike nights,cl,music store networking....even a temp gig in a genre you don't particularly care for gets you up on a stage where you
    may meet someone who needs you....in the mean time learn music,not songs

6. what i do when i'm between bands is i try to find a new one, but in the mean time what i do is i take my decent battery powered amp and a busk, playing a lot of stuff off of SLAP IT! and The Art of solo bass: a chordal approach including my own jams
    buskings great fun and you get a bit of dough off of it

7. I've never been in a band. I've been trying to get to an open mic per week to build my confidence and skills. I never intedned to sing when I got the bass, but now I'm having fun with it. There has been one family who likes my version of "Boris the Spider" better than the original.

8. LiF

LiF

May 11, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Networking.

Go out and see bands and get talking to them between sets. Even other bassists, you may get a dep gig from it. Go up to the drummer and say "Great drumming, really tight, I'm a bassist, by the way." It will be a good conversation opener, most non-pros/semi-pros will be floored as those compliments are rare and they may know someone looking for a bass player.

9. -get a written plan
    -create a killer PR kit (pix, bio, audio etc)
    -network like mad
    -focus on the true music biz skills (sales, singing, gear repair)

-never hurts to always have a honed plan to start a band... set lists, mp3s, people, band names, PR kit etc... your contacts may need to form something --- winner is always the most charasmatic and prepared person..

10. Even when in a successful band it helps to continually network and audition... most folks forget the sales cycle and stop doing this.

11. Axel15810

Axel15810

Jan 29, 2008
    create an account on Bandmix.com. Social networking for musicians looking for bands.

12. Create a temporary music project of your own. Find some people to join you. Afterwards, keep the good guys together for a next round. In the end you'll run your own great band.

13. Yes, been doing that for a while, now.

As for photo, bio, video:

http://www.bandmix.com/eadg_in_az/

It's been saving me a bunch of time, as it's in my new ads as well as in replies if someone answers an old ad without it.

I tricked the bandmix filter by adding spaces in my email address. Works like a charm.

Bandmix should switch to a $0 fee system a la Facebook and charge ads. I know, bandwidth is cheap but it's all in the business plan.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021