what do you all think of ibanez sr200s?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by helgasmoustache, Nov 24, 2002.

1. helgasmoustache

Sep 4, 2002
    Im thinking of getting my 2nd bass and i was wondering if there is any competition for an ibanez sr200 in that price range. any advice would be great
  2. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I had one as my first bass earlier this year. They are rated by some outfit as one of the top 5 starter basses based on quality vs price. At 200 bucks brand new it was a great bass, however it was definitely a 200 dollar bass. The sound is loud enough and has great sustain but has no warmth or character to it. The tone control didn't seem to do much at all. Overall though, for 200 bucks off the shelf, it can hold it's own. I recently picked one up to try out again while at Guitar Center and after playing a Fender MIA for awhile, the Ibanez just felt flimsy. I was very pleased with it at the time however and it was a great bass to cut my teeth on.

Here's that top 5 starter bass rating I mentioned:

And here's a bunch of user reviews on Harmony Central:

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Honestly, for a little above the price of a new GSR 200 you could move up a great deal in build quality, woods, and electronics by looking for a 400-800 on eBay. That is, if you're set on an Ibanez. There's a great deal to choose from at that price range.

I have a friend who's selling a dead-mint SR-800 for an insanely good price. PM me if you're interested.